8 Move-Out Day Tips That Save You Time, Space, And Sanity

8 Move-Out Day Tips Guaranteed To Save You Time, Space, And Sanity

Moving day can be hectic, but there are ways to make it a little bit easier.

80

As the spring semester comes to a close, there is one last event that college students are dreading: move-out day. Moving, in general, can be pretty hectic. Everyone is running around trying to make sure they haven't forgotten anything whilst others are questioning why everything won't fit in their car. Despite the chaos and insanity of move-out day, there are ways to make your move a whole lot easier.

1. Roll your clothes.

Rolling clothes can save you a lot of space depending on how tight you roll them. Folding and stacking clothes can take up a lot of empty space which leads to needing more boxes than you should. This trick can be used for going on vacations too.

2. Leave your clothes on hangers and put them in trash bags.

When I moved into my apartment, I used this trick and it saved me a lot of time. If you don't want to use the rolling technique above, this one works really well. Just take a trash bag, put your clothes in, and wrap the drawstrings around the hangers. You'll be surprised at how many clothes you can fit in a trash bag. Oh, and don't forget to buy the extra large trash bags to make it even easier.

3. Label your boxes.

The worst thing you can do is not label your boxes and just throw everything in them. When you get home, you'll be wondering where that computer charger is and have to cut open every box just to find it. Don't do that to your self, just label what is inside before you close it up.

4. Start packing a few days before move-out day.

Yes, I know finals are upon us and that takes precedent. But does it really take you that much time to clean out the old food in your refrigerator? Starting a few days in advance can speed up the process on move-out day. You don't need to leave your friends and parents to do all the work.

5. Say your goodbyes in advance.

Everyone is going to be running around move-out day, so I doubt you'll get the quality goodbye that you're looking for. Start saying goodbye to your friends before the day rolls around so that you can spend the quality time with them that you're looking for.

6. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.

Everyone is going to be trying to use the elevator, so if you're physically up to it, take the stairs instead. This will save you a lot of time instead of waiting for the elevator to come back down from the top floor.

7. Clean your room after you've gotten packed.

You don't want to get fined for having trash in your room after you've gotten packed up. Make sure that the room is exactly like you found it when you moved in.

8. Double check EVERYTHING.

The last thing you want is to forget something after you've already turned in your key. Have a friend or family member check behind you to make sure that you haven't forgotten anything you brought with you.

So with that, happy move-out day to everyone! May the elevators be fast and your car be able to hold everything that you brought with you.