Can't Get Out of Bed?

Can't Get Out of Bed?

Forgo your rigid routine for a creative act!

11
Can't Get Out of Bed?

Can't manage to get out of bed? Maybe you should forgo a prompt tooth brushing and breakfast for a quick drawing session. Well, the act of drawing can probably be substituted for any number of creative acts. Learning a song on the piano or engaging with a book are all option that may make your mundane morning routine a little more palatable. The point is that such an act can serve as a way to get you out of bed! The important part here is to approach your chosen activity in a playful manner, i.e., don't overthink what you are doing, don't aim to conquer that medium in one sitting, and don't be disheartened if you find your final product to be less-than-superb. The above photo is an example of a drawing I did today right out of bed of some lychee I picked. That drawing took only about fifteen minutes and thereafter I was able to start on some homework for the summer courses I'm taking.

The importance of approaching life in a playful manner should not be underestimated. It can be all too easy to fall into a rigid schedule and frame of thought that allows no time for the world to reveal itself to you. Setting aside time to allow the world to reveal itself through art, nature, etc. can be a good change of pace from what usually amounts to our need to conquer the world, that is, the need to conquer that upcoming test, course, or assignment. If we do not allow ourselves that relationship with the world, we may lose touch with ourselves and those around us. It is that feeling, it seems, that keeps us in bed. So, if you find you're unable to get your day going, you may be approaching it in the wrong way. Be a little more open and playful in the morning and you may find yourself more motivated.