I Hope To Be Half The Woman My Mom Is Someday

Anyone would be lucky to have her in their presence. Because honestly, no one deserves her.

217
Ashley Mir

There comes a time (many times, actually) where you have to make choices.

Sometimes those choices are small, like whether to order pancakes or eggs from your favorite diner.

And other times, decisions can create a much larger impact on your life. Take studying, for example, or choosing to go out with friends.

Most of the time, people know what the right decision is, but the right decision isn't always the one we want to choose.

Where am I going with this, exactly? Well, this weekend I had the opportunity to meet a family member for the second time in my life. Unfortunately, the reasoning for seeing her was the loss of a loved one.

My Aunt lost her son (my cousin) last week and so, naturally, my mother, as her younger sister, decided she should go and see her.

I knew my mom and Aunt had a history in the past. Long story short, my Aunt up and left and my mom did a lot of growing up on her own, which alone breaks my heart. I often wonder how she became such a good mother without having her own around for most of her life.

But out of respect, I figured questioning why my mother would even want to see her sister after all their history would be wrong in this situation.

I also figured everything between them had been settled.

I was wrong.

We arrived at my Aunt's house in Philly which, by the way, is just 20 minutes from me. I never even knew this.

My mom handed me a bouquet of flowers, "Ash, I want you to give these to your Aunt." I nodded. I'd do anything for my mom.

My Aunt opened the door. She looked confused, almost disgusted, at the sight of my mother standing in front of her with tons of food, love, and empathy for her pain.

"You can't just show up to my freaking house like this. Now now," she screamed, running up the stairs from both my mother and her other sister.

A terrible feeling overcame me. I literally felt sick. From what I knew, my mother did everything for her older sister. She even helped raise her youngest son as a teenager.

It took a lot of begging and negotiating from other family members for my aunt to come down, but when she did, she seemed nervous and upset. I felt for her, I truly did. It must be tragic to be going through such a painful time.

But who I truly felt bad for was my mother.

All my mother has ever wanted throughout her life was family. And yeah she finally has her own, but there is nothing more important than a bond between siblings.

In that very moment, I knew 100% how strong my mother is.

Despite her pride, she drove over an hour to see someone who could potentially just slam their door shut in her face. Simply because she cares so deeply and loves like no other.

With everything she has endured throughout her life, and all the neglect and pain she has felt, she managed to pick herself up, keep her head high, and move on.

If there is anyone in this world I want to be like, it's my mom.

Strong, intelligent, independent, caring, beautiful. These are only half of the traits she holds as a mother.

Anyone would be lucky to even have her in their presence. Because honestly, no one deserves her.