It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Pretty lights, good food, exchanging gifts, and no school work- hello Christmas Break!

5
Memions

'Tis the season for hot drinks, bright lights, reindeer, and all of the other joyous components. I plan on taking a much needed break- emotionally, physically, and mentally- while I'm home from school. In order to really enjoy this break, I hope to do these things:

1. Invest in Family Time

This was a long, stressful semester, but it definitely helped me grow in maturity and learn how to juggle multiple responsibilities at once. With that being said, I didn't have very much time to really keep tabs on my family and what was going on in their lives. I cannot wait to curl up on the couch and just talk to my parents rather than texting them updates here and there. I am excited to snuggle up with my sister and watch movies or play FIFA without feeling guilty about neglecting school work. Being away from home never fails to humble me and remind me of how truly blessed I am to have a loving family to come home to, so I plan on taking full advantage of that during this break.

2. Allow Time for Rest

It might seem obvious, but I have to make sure I let myself rest during this break. I have a tendency to move 100 mph all the time (thanks to college life for that conditioning), and I rarely take time to stop and do nothing. I have to remind myself that it's okay to spend hours watching Netflix in the comfort of my own bed if I want to, that it's okay to sleep in a little bit, that it's okay to enjoy fresh-baked cookies while watching movies, and that it's definitely okay to not open a textbook once over the next few weeks. My biggest struggle is battling guilt that accompanies rest because I feel like I am being unproductive, but sometimes not doing anything is the most productive thing you can do for your well-being when you desperately need a break.

3. Remember the Reason for the Season

I love Christmas! I love the idea of Santa Claus, the travel to visit family, the Christmas Eve traditions, and of course the presents! However, there is a grander reason that we celebrate December 25th. Jesus was born on this day, which marked the beginning of the journey that led to the salvation of humanity. Each gift we open, every roll we eat, every warm hug we receive- these are all blessings given by God. Sometimes, we overlook His greatest blessing to us because we hold our tangible blessings so near and dear. The Christmas season is a great reminder of God's love for His children, so of course we should enjoy every aspect of it because God wants us to be happy. But we must remember to be thankful for Jesus' purpose when he dwelt among us, because without his work there would be no celebration.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F12%2F09%2F636169151791278848-378245233_animated-merry-christmas-image-0174.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=605&h=cf97df2521b26e348c6c91d8fb902d34de994077b56dc51685d7454defb263d6&size=980x&c=4101085330 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F12%252F09%252F636169151791278848-378245233_animated-merry-christmas-image-0174.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D605%26h%3Dcf97df2521b26e348c6c91d8fb902d34de994077b56dc51685d7454defb263d6%26size%3D980x%26c%3D4101085330%22%7D" expand=1]

Over this break, take advantage of every opportunity to rest and love those around you. Give your time, attention, and care to your family and friends. Allow yourself to reboot and gear up for whatever lies ahead. This year is coming to an end, and the door to new blessings and experiences will soon be open!