More Than A Sorority Girl

More Than A Sorority Girl

Everyone has a story.

5
More Than A Sorority Girl
Emily Ryan Turner

I am so over hearing people ask, “How much did you pay for your friends?” Because honestly, if that even was the case, I didn’t pay enough for them. I love my sorority and all that it stands for.

When most people think of sorority girls, they think about partying, being all over boys and being more concerned about that "MRS" degree. But we are more than that. I have found girls who have the same goals as me. I can be crazy with them when I want, or I can cry to them when I need to. School is always our top priority. Most of us work part-time jobs to pay for our dues.

I love my letters, but I am more than my letters. I am more than Greek life . I am more than a girl who knows chants and cheers. I am more than my collection of T-shirts. I am more than all the sorority crafts on my walls.

I am a leader. I am passionate about making a change in the world. I dream that one day everyone will be able to get along. I am a romantic who dreams about true love and settling down — about starting a real life after college.

I am that college girl who enjoys wearing over-sized T-shirts with shorts. I enjoy watching recruitment videos, and glitter is my best friend. I’m also that girl who refers to her sorority little as “Littttllllllleeeeeee” in all social situations.

I can wear over sized shirts because I want to, not because it’s a sorority thing. Being in a sorority is about being yourself and having girls love you, no matter what you wear or look like. So judge me for loving Justin Bieber’s music and dressing up. Judge me for posting pictures with my sorority sisters. Judge me for being #basic.

Go ahead and judge me, because I honestly don’t care. Your opinion does not matter. God is my only judge.

I get to be involved with my community. I get to make a difference. I get to volunteer with my sisters and on my own. Being in a sorority is about your philanthropy, and about helping other philanthropies in the Greek Community. How awesome is that?

I already have a biological sister, but now I have bunch more. I am blessed to have my Big and Little as my best friends and that I can be myself around any of my sisters. I never have to eat lunch alone. There is always someone to come join me. Being in a sorority is about sisterhood. You don’t always get along, but there is nothing you wouldn’t do for them in any type of situation.

I am not an average sorority girl. No one is. Everyone has a story. There is more to our lives than Greek events and letters. They are letters who contribute to who we are and what we love. They do not define us. They enhance us.

There is more to me than my sorority, but I love how my sorority makes me a better me.