Fight For Gender Equality

Women Are Fighting For More Gender Equality In 2018, This Means War

Welcome to the new era.

29
Women

Long back in 2006, Time magazine named "You" as the magnificent Person of the Year, bringing focus to the shift that had already taken place on the internet. That being said, plenty of users were using the web wisely with YouTube making producers, Wikipedia making users and MySpace making people web stars. In other words, people were oblivious to the passive audience and thus, Time magazine read, "You control the information age. Welcome to your world." Nothing has been truer.

One can see the same striking similarity happening within the women's movement.

In many facets of life, women, in particular, try to gain equal rights for themselves, with the right to vote, control over their bodies, and the blatant right to equality in the workplace. While these issues have been sought after before, there are still many hindrances left within their reach. Most women try to strive to gain equality in the workplace — an arena where they can engage in domestic work towards the entertainment industry, all of which is just a dream.

January 2017 was the establishment of a new movement for women who gathered around the country and the world by giving rise to the new women's movement. With that said, women made a move on specific issues. Women organized the Black Lives Matter movement, the DREAMer immigrant youth movement, and other people like Tarana Burke, the founder of the #MeToo movement, created a new base where people made connections on different experiences between inequality and violence.

Women have begun to protest everywhere and a lot of them, even those with disabilities, voiced their healthcare stories at Town Hall meetings, people speaking about harassment in the workplace, actors speaking about casting couch experiences and then the rise of #MeToo. These magnificent groups of women who pave the way for ultimate success within society fall within different ethnicities and backgrounds which crave for a cultural mix.

People need to acknowledge how women try to change the world we live in and how it functions and works. To make that more clear, the Golden Globe attendees who were part of the #TimesUp movement are doing the best because they know the movement will be successful when most are successful.

Anyways, the shift has already been introduced in 2018. In Parkland, Florida, Emma Gonzalez was advocating for the lack of action on gun control. In addition, during the Oscars, Frances invited other female producers to meet with nominees who are to be financed with their storytelling in front of and behind the camera. Finally, farm and domestic workers who were systematically excluded from the protections at work mobilized to Washington D.C. to demand protections from sexual harassment for all women.

The main message the people trying to portray here is, "We'll take over from here, thanks. The rate things have been going, we're certain we'll do a better job." Lev Grossman, the man who wrote the Time's Person of the Year in 2006, said, "It's about the many wrestling power from the few and helping one another for nothing and how that will not only change the world but also change the way the world changes." With that in mind, there is the same shift in power for women.

As we come to think of it, "International Women's Day" is an in-depth celebration of all kinds of women out there. For one thing, this situation is about every LGTBQ woman and other women of color, Hollywood actresses, domestic workers, and women who lose jobs. With that set in stone, this day is about women who lose jobs and women who get assaulted because of their gender, whether she works in the spotlight or shadows. This counts for absolutely every single woman out there, as a matter of fact.

As we see this come into shape, we can see ourselves making a change. It can bring a big change to a lot of things. It is going well, that's for sure. With that being said, every single woman can be counted as Person of the Year. I think we should bring focus into this change. Welcome to the new era of women demanding their equal rights the same as men.