Monthiversaries: Are these monthly relationship markers important?

153
Monthiversaries:  Are these monthly relationship markers important?

Girls are known to obsess over the little things. We overanalyze through the ups and the downs of relationships, which can sometimes prove to be a great thing, but many times it creates an overload of unnecessary worries in our minds. 

Beginning with the first boy to write our name with a bunch of "<333s" next to it in his AIM profile, we take pride in the recognition we receive from the boys that like us. No doubt, we mature, so that by high school we no longer look for our name in pink at the end of his away message, but now we expect a boyfriend to show he cares through flowers, letters, and the noticing of major life events, which to us means our "monthiversary" a.k.a. the number date in each month that we began dating. 

Are we crazy for wanting our boy to remember at midnight once each month the date we started dating? Should we expect a dinner date, or an Instagram post highlighting our love or an unexpected (yet expected) gift? There is a lot of controversy among college-aged girls about whether monthiversaries should be a big deal. 

A girl is not wrong in thinking to herself, "How hard is it really to remember one day out of 31 in a month?" At the same time, though, twenty-year-old girls should see past confirming love by whether a boy remembers and acts upon an actually insignificant date. While a six-month or one-year anniversary definitely is a bigger deal than three months, we need to remember that what may seem big to a girl, is, many times, unimportant to a boy. If a boy does give you a gift because you've reached two months, it is usually an indication that you overreacted about his minimal awareness of the first month celebration. 

While there is nothing wrong with loving when a boy takes notice of the date, it should not be the end of the world if he fails to remember it without a hint from you. At this age, girls know that boys are forgetful creatures. They are weird. They smell. And many times they do not value the same little things that you do in a relationship. It does not mean they love you less or that you are dumb for noticing. It simply shows their male characteristics. 

Some may argue that this forgetfulness is actually a sign of a more mature relationship. Who really cares that your relationship somehow managed to get through that texting argument last week to continue onto your seven months together? Nobody. A relationship should be expected to get through the ups and downs at this age. Even though it's an awesome milestone to reach together, twenty-year-olds should not need a reminder each month that their relationship has come a long way. 

Smile when you receive a text, phone call, or in-person recognition of another monthiversary that you and your boyfriend have reached, but do not act bitter or too upset if he seems to have overlooked the day. Maybe just take an extra two minutes than you usually do to text him back. 

Photo Credit: Pinterest