25 Things Everyone From Montgomery County, MD Knows Too Well

There is no place like home.

25301

Other counties in Maryland may claim that they are the best county. However, I disagree with that statement and would argue that Montgomery County is one of the- if not the best county in Maryland. Here are 25 things all MoCo people will recognize and appreciate.

1. We're home to several famous people.

Logic, Wale, Daniel Stern (the dude from Home Alone), Joan Jett, Giuliana Rancic, and so many more.

2. The insane bag tax.

5 cents for a plastic bag? No thanks.

3. We have some pretty great high schools.

While we all complain about our school, you have to admit that they're nicer compared to other schools. In fact, the top five high schools in Maryland are all Montgomery County Public Schools.

4. High school football.

Friday night football is NO JOKE here in Montgomery County. We have some fierce rivalry (Quince Orchard vs. Northwest, Wootton vs. Churchill), some insane fanbases (Quince Orchard's Red Army), and some intense games.

5. No final exams.

Recently, Montgomery County Public School's took away final exams. Now, they replaced finals week with just regular unit tests at the end of the marking period.

6. Intense competition.

The competition between sports teams, classmates, and schools is insane. It is drilled into our heads that we have to do well and that we have to beat out other classes and schools for high test scores.

7. Edline

While MCPS did take away Edline this year (#rip), I will always remember the struggles of checking Edline and getting emails about updates in grading at the worst possible time.

8. Moco Snow

Whenever there is reports of snow, every student is checking Moco Snow. If he predicted 4 or 5 pencils, you know there isn't going to be school tomorrow.

9. Snow Days

Just a light flurry? Snow day. Seven inches of snow on the ground? Schools are open on time today.

10. Disney World!

LOL jk, it's actually a Mormon Temple (check it out here).

11. Washington D.C.

Since we are so close to D.C. (I mean we're "literally right outside D.C."), we've all definitely seen all the monuments in Washington D.C. and have probably done every possible touristy thing there is to do in D.C..

12. Montgomery Mall

The best place to shop in my opinion. We probably all hung out there as middle/high schoolers as well.

13. We have the best hangout spots.

You probably hung out in Kentlands (or what used to be known as Midtown), Rio, or Rockville Town Center growing up.

14. Yoyogi Sushi

THE BEST SUSHI IN ALL OF MONTGOMERY COUNTY DON'T @ ME ON THAT.

15. Potomac

Want to see some beautiful homes? Take a drive down to Potomac- they have some huge homes.

16. The Billy Goat Trail

Want to go get some fresh air in the beautiful outdoors? Go take a hike (and an Instagram picture) at The Billy Goat Trail in Potomac!

17. Traffic

The traffic around Moco is INSANE. We are named #4 for the worst traffic in a city.

18. Speed Cameras

Watch out for those speed cameras, they're on every corner and will get you if you're not careful enough.

19. Everything is near each other.

Want to go get Chipotle but your friend wants Chick-fil-a? Don't worry they're probably right next to each other.

20. Slang

You're not excited over something, you're geeked. You haven't seen someone in a while, you haven't seen them in bricks. You don't know something, you're hip. This slang has gotten me some very confused looks outside of MoCo let me tell you that.

21. Real Housewives of Potomac

I've never even seen the show but when I found out that this was a thing, I had some real Moco pride.

22. So big, yet so small.

Everyone seems to know everyone in Montgomery County. It seems so tiny but in reality, Moco is huge (think of how far Damascus, Poolesville, and Clarksburg are).

23. College Park

When it's time to chose where to go to college, tons of MoCo people decide to go to College Park which sort of makes College Park like a MoCo Junior.

24. We've grown up in a pretty diverse community.

We've been exposed to several different cultures in MoCo which is something that is so unique to our county. We are also ranked in the top ten most diverse cities in all of America.

25. No place like home.

No matter where you go to college or where you end up living, Montgomery County will always have that special place in your heart.