What They Don't Tell You About Montauk

What They Don't Tell You About Montauk

First time visitors? Don't sweat it, here are some tips you may not have been told!

13
What They Don't Tell You About Montauk
Taylor DeMarco

Every summer, Montauk, NY is packed with tourism, alcohol-induced decisions and loads of memories. For the past few years, the small town of about 3,400 has had more tourists than it ever has before. Everyone wants to get away from the city to the small island-like town, but not everyone sees the hidden beauties that it holds. Instead of being told to go shopping downtown, going to Gosman's Dock or hitting Ditch Plains, here are some things that no one tells you about Montauk.

1. Pizza Village has the best pizza in town, hands-down.

Try the buffalo chicken pizza with ranch dressing on the side. You won't regret it.

2. The Bluffs overlooking Ditch Plains are to die for.

You'll need to be dropped off to see since there's no parking around this area. It's hidden inside a neighborhood entrance for Shadmoor State Park, just enter and take your first right. The view is breathtaking at any time of the day.

3. A lot of the stores are cash only, be prepared.

And there's only a Chase bank in town. Take cash out before leaving and be prepared.

4. The Montauk Manor is supposedly haunted.

Just a rumor, but everyone talks about it. According to the rumor, the manor was built on an Indian burial ground. Since the opening, showers will turn on and off by itself, lights will go out and doors would slam with no explanation. Other than the creepy stories it has, the manor is beautiful and still worth the visit.

5. The music shuts off at clubs at 11:00 p.m.

This is something many tourists don't understand. Seeing that Montauk is a small town, music can travel into the neighborhoods of the locals. Therefore, all music is shut off at 11:00 p.m. and everyone is moved indoors.

6. Whalebone is one of the best magazines to read on the beach.

A local magazine that has every Montauk inside story. From interviews with locals, articles of popular restaurants and stories of everything else Montauk, this is the magazine to read.

7. If you're going to Ditch Plains, try the Ditch Witch.

The best food truck in Montauk, hands down. You can taste how fresh their food is.

8. Dinners get packed, so get there early.

Most don't accept reservations, so try to get to dinner early to ensure that you get a table.

9. Use the hiking trails, they're gorgeous.

Take all the cliché hiking pictures for Instagram. The trails are a perfect place to do it.

10. Kelly B's is the place to go when looking for Hampton-approved outfits.

One of my personal favorite boutiques. They are always coming in with new designs and jewelry, and conveniently located downtown.

11. Gosman's Beach is the place to go to see the sunset.

Gosman's Dock also has a ton of cute shops to buy sweatshirts and souvenirs, so make a visit.

12. The sunrise? Go to the lighthouse.

You have to wake up really early, but it's worth the view.

13. There are no stoplights in town.

Weird fact about Montauk, so be cautious. Sometimes drivers can be crazy.

14. Overall, remember to #RespectMontauk.

Something to always remember while visiting. Remember to always be responsible when having bonfires at the beach, pick up your trash, don't be obnoxious to the locals and have overall respect for the town.