Mom, Thank You For Loving Me Unconditionally

I love you.

511

They say a girl's first love is her father, but for me, it was my mother.

My mother is the most incredible and wise woman I've ever met. Being a single parent, I've witnessed my mom at her lowest and highest moments in life. But despite the challenges she faced, each endurance was a lesson and was handled with courage. Teaching her children the widths and lengths of this earth, she encouraged us to chase our dreams and to always reach for the sky. How can you not love that? This one is for you, mom.

Dear Mom,

Mom, I can't thank you enough for the life you have given me. You have shown me what a woman is and can be. You've walked this planet with grace and dignity and it shows. The amount of love you have to offer me and this world is beyond me. To be a single parent in this world is hard enough, but to be a black single parent is a much bigger difficulty. However, you have shown that you aren't defined by the system that was placed before us. I am proud of your accomplishments, big and small. You always remind me that you support me, and I want you to know that I support you as well.

Despite our arguments over boys, bad habits, spending problems, and oversleeping you've constantly pushed me to do better. I thrive because of you. If not for your words of wisdom I would probably be in bad shape. I remember one time I came to you about boy problems (the first time EVER) and you welcomed me with comfort and support. You said, "picture an apple tree, a boy who is in a rush will reach for an apple that is located at the bottom of the tree. But, a man will reach for the apple at the top of the tree. And baby you are worth reaching for." I will never forget that moment, you had shown me that I worth waiting for and that is important for a girl to understand.

Lastly, I'm sorry for putting you through so much. I tend to lose sight of what is important. And you constantly bring me back to earth, thank you. Your parenting skills have humbled me deeply and pushed me to do better. You always remind me to ask myself if I'm a giver or a taker, and that truly put things in perspective. Whether it's challenging me or making me do the dishes, mom you are constant light in my life and I couldn't be more grateful. I couldn't be more proud to say I am the daughter of Angela Wilson.