Social Media Embarrassments Via My Mom

Social Media Embarrassments Via My Mom

The struggles of friending your mom online

93
Social Media Embarrassments Via My Mom
kfsmab

Look, I love my mom. She calls several times a week checking up on me, giving me advice on which clothes match and providing me with tips on how to survive. And I help her with things like her new phone or social media tips for her new spray tan business and things like that. So obviously we have a strong bond and what not. But there's one thing I need to talk to her about that I know she's going to get offended with. She needs to stop leaving comments on everything I post!!

So I am constantly on social media throughout the day. I wouldn't say it's an unhealthy amount (Siri would say otherwise), but I like to be informed and know what's going on in not only the world but my little fandom pocket communities. Now my mom doesn't follow me on everything, I've hinted at me needing my space with stuff like my personal twitter. But she does follow me on one of my Instagram accounts (Yes I have more than one, I am a part-time online influencer) as well as Snapchat and of course Facebook.

Now back in April or 2013 when my mom said it was okay to let me have social media, she made sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram. And obviously thirteen year old me didn't care in the slightest and I still don't. But now it's gotten worse. At the start of 2019, I've made it my unofficial resolution to clean up my social media accounts. No, I never post anything I regret or shouldn't online if that's what you're thinking. I've just had these accounts for six or so years so they are filled with superhero pictures and stupid grammar mistakes I made as a kid. So I like to keep my pages organized and presentable. Especially my Facebook feed. And this is where the root of the problem lies.

One feature I hate about Facebook is the tag ability. Unlike Instagram where it's a tab off to the side when you tag someone on Facebook, it appears on the person you tagged's timeline. And my mom tags me in stuff constantly. Most of the time it's because of Facebook's automated tag feature when you mention someone in a post. And my mom does this constantly. It's usually News articles and stuff that I have no interest or time in reading. I feel like if people, in general, want to send me stuff, just do it in direct messages. I may be slower in responding but I like the idea of privacy.

Especially now when I'm starting to add college people as friends on Instagram and Facebook, I don't want to be seen as a sort of mama's boy who has a mom who comments on every post hearts and miss you comments. Again, my mom most likely doesn't mean any of this, but she is still an ignorant child when it comes to social media. Like I said I'm on these sites daily. I can tell the credible news articles from the clickbait ones and the scammers looking to steal your credit card info from the genuinely nice people. Okay, there's hardly anyone nice on the internet but you get the point.

Here's an example: Last week people left and right were sharing these news articles about the "Momo" challenge. And how these YouTube videos were instructing kids to kill themselves. Long story short this challenge was a hoax that no big news organization decided to fact check. And so this infuriated me a bit when I saw tons of family members sharing misinformation on their timeline that I shared a news video from Philip DeFranco where he explains the whole story and defends YouTubers. And I knew which every word, every letter I typed on my phone screen that my mother was going to comment. And sure enough, she did with something along the lines of "proud of you" or "thank you."

media3.giphy.com

Now you're probably wondering why I'm annoyed with this? She's saying she's proud of me. Well for one I was typing this out of anger and didn't want people to be like, "ohh good job" or anything. I'm not looking for praise at all. Another thing she commented was last Monday when the second "Shazam" Trailer was released. I shared a quick snippet of how my grandfather used to read Captain Marvel comics (Shazam = Captain Marvel Long story) and she commented about us seeing it on Mom's weekend. Like that post did not need any comments on it. Once you like it, you like it! That's the whole point of the line system. I don't need the girl I like that I will eventually add as a Facebook friend to see all this embarrassing stuff. And ohhh don't get me started with Instagram.

Obviously that platform it's easier for the younger generation to become friends and comment on each other's photos. But my mom always comments something when I post like a selfie of myself or a really cool picture of myself sitting in a tree (that got featured on OU Odyssey's Instagram ;) ). It's usually like something about me being "handsome" and like, cool mom you always say that. But no one in 2019 thinks this face is handsome (Hahaha…..)... Anyway the last set of selfies I posted I turned off comments because I knew the second I turned them on she would comment. And it's not just her sometimes it's other family members but that's a rare occasion.

Stuff like Snapchat is not as bad. Just annoying when my mom messages me with questions like: "Who's that? Who are you with?" For example, I made a new friend and I wanted to wait to mention her to my family because the second I do everyone thinks it's their business to know. I come from the mindset of letting people have their own business. Anyway, I have to be cryptic just cause I don't feel like explaining to my mom the whole story of how we met. Also tonight I shared a video of me about to play a Kahoot game and my mom snapped me a question about it and I legit facepalmed because I knew she didn't know the reference at all. She apparently thought it had something to do with Avengers. Another pet-peeve but that's for another time.

In conclusion, again I obviously love my mom. And I try to teach her social media efficacy. But she just needs to cool it with all these comments and posts and everything. I've had to put my foot down in a few instances (Like when she tried to track my location with Apple, twice). She may be a young mom, but all this technology is new to her. I just hope she understands where I'm coming from. Probably not. So it's probably best not to show her this article for a while. (XD)