Most mothers are self-proclaimed "cool moms." They think they could easily hang with their kids' generation of music, fashion, and media. I decided to put this confidence to the test by giving my own mom a pop culture quiz complete with current lyrics, phrases, and references. Here are her hilariously misinformed answers:
1. Fill in the blank: "thank u, next" by Ariana Grande
Thought I'd end up with a lot of money
But he wasn't a money maker
Wrote some songs about bein' rich
Now I listen and cry
Even almost got a lottery ticket
And for that, I'm so thankful
Wish I could say, "Thank you" to my kids
'Cause he was a handful
2. Fill in the blank: "Blank Space" by Taylor Swift
So it's gonna be Christmas
Or it's gonna go poorly
You can tell me when it's time to open gifts
If the gifts were worth the trouble
Got a long list of people
They'll tell you thanks
'Cause you know I love the holidays
And you love the good food
3. Guess Who: What is the name of the famous male singer known for his smooth dance moves, who is also a judge on "World of Dance?"
Jason Da Rillo
4. Guess Who: Who sings this song lyric--"Now they always say congratulations, worked so hard, forgot how to vacation"?
5. Guess Who: Who is James Charles?
A jazz singer.
6. Guess Who: What celebrity is featured in the "Hey Girl" meme?
Keke ("You know, from the song.")
7. Guess Who: Who invented the "Milly Rock?"
8. Movie Trivia: What's the first rule of the fight club?
Never fight without your gloves on.
9. Movie Trivia: Complete the "Mean Girls" quote--"So if you're from ________, why are you ________?"
the cool group; wearing your grandma's sweater
10. Movie Trivia: Complete the Hunger Games quote--"That is _______!"
11. Slang: What is "ship" short for?
"Ships ahoy!" which means "bye, I'm outta here!"
12. Slang: What does "straight fire" mean?
Cut to the chase; get straight to the point
13. Slang: What does "bae" stand for?
Buddies Are Excellent
14. Slang: What are Beyonce's fans called?
15. Slang: What are Lady Gaga fans?
16. Slang: What does GOAT stand for?
Get On A Train
17. What does FTW stand for? (Example: "Finished my project an hour before it was due, FTW!")
Flying Through Work