What It Means To Be A Mom
Parents

My Mother Is NOT My Best Friend, Because She Is So Much More Than That

I can't thank my mother enough for being the superwoman that she is.

531
Tatayana Allen

I always find it interesting when people say that their mom is their best friend.

I know what they mean and what they are trying to say, but I personally have never considered my mother simply as my best friend. And if we're being honest, I am not even sure if my mother would truly appreciate being called my best friend.

The bond between a mother and daughter is not something that can be easily described or labeled. A mother's job is hard and I cannot even begin to tell you all the things that my mother has done for me. My mother plays many important roles in my life.

She is my friend.

She is my protector.

She is my supporter.

She is my mentor.

She is my parental figure.

She is the one that gave me life.

She is my person.

She is the first one to yell at me when I do something wrong.

She is the person who will always tell me the truth when I don't want to hear it.

She is my role model.

She is the person who is there when I need her.

She is the person who hasn't left my side since the day I was born.

She is the person who understands and knows me more than anybody.

She is the person who has loved me before I was even born and raised me to be the person that I am.

Without my mother, I don't where I would be.

My mom and I don't always see eye to eye. Sometimes we aggravate each other. And sometimes we don't always like or want to do the same things. But at the end of the day, she is the only person who will sit on the phone with me for hours and just listen me talk about nothing or say every random thought that I have in my head aloud. She provides a sort of unconditional love that cannot be compared to anything in the world. Our bond is unlike any other.

So no, my mom is not my best friend. My mom is my mom. Being a mom is a complex job and shouldn't be shortchanged my being called a best friend.

So thanks mom for being my mom and taking on all these roles in my life. You are one of kind and I am who I am because of all the things you have done for me.