Thank You To The People That Have Got Me Here

Although a simple thank you will never suffice

369
Unsplash

The weeks leading up to college, the only words coming out of my mouth were “I cannot wait to get away.”

Going off to college is such an important milestone in everyone’s life. It creates independence, an identity, an individual.

For me, it did just that, but most importantly it made me cherish what I have always taken for granted. The most important and most valuable thing I was given, my beautiful, loving parents.

I was as bratty as any teenager could be. I was always giving my parents attitude and always dismissing everything they said. My mom would ask me to clean my room and I would ignore her and continue on. She noticed and instead of asking me again, cleaned my room. Every night, there was always food on the table, home cooked and delicious. It became an expectation, not a gift. My laundry was always done before I got home, never once had I given it a thought that my mom took an hour out of her day to do it.

My father would provide everything for me, with or without thanks. He would do it despite my attitude or my dismissal of things he said. He works so hard to provide, but I could not be bothered to acknowledge it.

Now that seeing my parents has become a rarity rather than a daily occurrence, my point of view has changed.

My mom has dedicated her life to making sure my siblings and I are happy and have every opportunity possible. She truly is superwoman.

My father has dedicated his life to providing for our family and ensuring our successes are not limited by financial means.

My parents have always had my back, through every mistake, through every heartbreak, through every defeat.

My parents are my best friends, and it took me until I went away to truly realize this.

To my dad, I want to say thank you.

Truly thank you for always working hard, even when you didn’t want to.

Thank you for never giving up on me, no matter how many mistakes I have made. Thank you for always putting our families needs before your own.

To my mom, I want to say thank you.

Thank you for putting my needs before your own.

Thank you for all the work you do to make sure I am successful.

Thank you for giving your life to being my mom.

To both of you, thank you for never giving up on me. Everything I am and everything I will become is owed to you.