Your Go-To Guide To Whole Foods Mochi Ice Cream

What flavors were bomb, and which ones were a bust?
1553

For those of you who don't know what Mochi is, it "is Japanese rice cake made of mochigome, a short-grain japonica glutinous rice. The rice is pounded into paste and molded into the desired shape. In Japan it is traditionally made in a ceremony called mochitsuki. While also eaten year-round, mochi is a traditional food for the Japanese New Year and is commonly sold and eaten during that time." Recently the Whole Foods in Exton, Pennsylvania opened and I decided to take a peek at what they offered, and I noticed the Mochi Ice Cream bar. I had heard great things about Mochi Ice Cream, but I'd never tried it. Mochi Ice Cream is when they wrap ice cream in Mochi and form it into balls. Whole Foods carries a rotating 10 flavors of Mochi Ice Cream, so I decided to try them all with a little help from my Mom and younger Brother. The following is a critique on each flavor. Obviously, this is all based on our own personal tastes so I highly encourage you to try them all even if we didn't like them.

Coconut Pineapple

We all agreed that the coconut was the most prominent flavor in this one. We really couldn't taste any pineapple in there. It was still an enjoyable flavor, they just missed the mark a little.

Pistachio

I was not entirely sure this one is pistachio as it tasted like the green tea matcha flavor they carry so there may have been a mix-up. However, my mom was sure it was pistachio as it lacked the matcha flavor. The flavor profile was sweet and grassy, and it was a flavor you either would love or hate.

Strawberry

This flavor was sweet and rich like fresh strawberries and cream blended. It was a bold answer to a classic strawberry, and I am picky about my classic flavors. If it's too plain tasting it isn't worth it, but this flavor was a home run for me.

Salted Caramel

The salted caramel had very sweet and rich notes reminiscent of a butterscotch. There really wasn't a salty vibe, but I feel like some salted caramels are too salt heavy, so the fact that it was light is probably better for the overall taste.

Mango Sweet

The mango had a very earthy and sweet profile with some citrus notes. It reminded me of a sweet herbal tea you would drink on the porch in the summer. It's not a super powerful flavor but it is flavorful enough to be delectable.

Double Chocolate

Another of the traditional flavors, chocolate must really impress for me. You can color me because I was. It was a very rich and creamy chocolate. I'd even go as far as to say that it was decadent.

Black Sesame

The sesame flavor is surprising and bold and contains sesame seeds. It has rich and nutty notes and is not necessarily sweet. You’ll either love or hate this flavor. If you like chicory snacks or tahini this flavor might be for you. I honestly didn't really know what to think of this one. It is definitely unique.

Butter Pecan

This one contains actual pecans and good chunky ones. The butter pecan is sweet and creamy with a butterscotch finish. It's like liquid pralines.

Vanilla Bean

Another of the ice cream classics, this vanilla also impressed. It was very rich with very strong bean notes. It was a creamy and delicate vanilla.

Kona Coffee

I felt it could have had a more rich coffee flavor like Wawa or Hershey's coffee ice cream. It tasted more like a latte or mocha than coffee. It was way too milky for my taste, but if you like coffee with your creamer it may be for you.

I hope you enjoyed my review of Whole Foods Exton mochi ice cream flavors for this week. In the future there may also be a sushi review for local sushi eateries. But first, coming up next week are some simple Valentines Day recipes to spice up the romance this year.