"Frozen" and "Moana" Are Two of the Most Important Movies For Young Adults

Both movies effected me in a way that I didn't expect when I sat down to watch these movies.

106
Park Troopers

I know that it sounds strange, given that "Moana" and "Frozen" on the surface seem to be completely different. I could go through the more profound similarities, both of the leads, Elsa and Moana specifically, desire to escape their lives and a similar strong tie to the families and traditions that keep them there. Both of the leads are in a position of budding power that requires some kind of sacrifice, no expression of self and both the leads go on an adventure to discover that the true answer lay inside themselves.

However, I think the most powerful connection both movies is that they are entirely women's stories.

Now it can be argued, with some merit, that all of the princess stories speak of women's experience. "The Little Mermaid", little Izzy's favorite princess, was a story of a woman who fell in love with a man and had to immigrate into a new society that she adores but is ultimately unable to communicate or connect with.

"Beauty in the Beast", the runner-up for favorite princess position, was all about how society's perception of you doesn't always aline with the truth. Gaston is an obvious villain, wanting to force Belle into marriage, a sin I can't forgive, personally, wanting to kill the Beast because he is different, and yet the villagers love him as much as they find Belle and the Beast strange and frightening. Belle doesn't fit into the female stereotype, not from the town, she wants to go on adventures. And since she technically can't, she goes on adventures in the form of escapism. As I grew up, Belle slowly became more and more familiar. Her desires and wants were in turn mine. But as fate pulled her to a grand adventure, fear kept me from mine.

Then "Frozen" came along.

I don't agree with the idea that "Frozen" is about depression. I don't think that is a theme that the story is focussing on, but if you see it hey what do I know, right?

I think the focus of the movie is about oppression; an oppression of self. We get a chance to watch the girls grow up, Elsa being taught rules and restrictions, placed not out of spite but love, to conceal the emotions we may not want a young woman to feel. Meanwhile, Anna is encouraged, or at least not discouraged, to act as she pleases. She wanders the rooms and hallways and talks with whomever, or whatever, she wants too; the way she walks into the coronation party, not considering how her actions may be judged as heir. Elsa, on the other hand, is calm and controlled, at no point does Elsa allow herself to express herself, not even in dance, an appropriate expression for women. It's not until she is alone that she allows herself to express herself. Creating a gorgeous castle and transforming her dress into something that is her own and not a mimic of her mother.

Women have always been told what they can't do. The list of things a young Lady can't do is endless; we can't curse, we can't sit with our legs open, we can't talk too loud – I could go on. In Elsa's story, in her transformation, it's not just that she is showing off her powers or creating a castle, its that she is finally shedding the boundaries set on her by old traditions and misogyny. The reason why "Let It Go" blew up was because so many women and young feel this need to be perfect, that it's alright to make mistakes and mess up because that is Elsa's greatest fear, making another mistake. That "perfect girl" is gone, Elsa admits it. The rest of the movie is coming to the understanding that its okay not to be perfect. Mistakes are human.

Then, a few years after "Frozen", "Moana" came out. Now to say that I don't cry every time I hear the opening cords of "How Far I'll Go" would be a lie. To say that I don't spend the whole movie crying would be a lie. The part that gets me the most is Moanas confrontation with Te Ka. The message is clear, only a woman can help another woman overcome a man's violence, and the woman doesn't have to be beautiful to be worthy of acceptance, love, and support.

Moana defeats Te Ka with understanding and acceptance, not more violence. In fact, trying such a masculine approach damages Moana's boat and Maui's hook. Violence cannot heal violence; it can only cause more damage. I could write an entire article on this very subject. In fact, there are plenty of articles about this exact topic.

Instead, I am going to talk about how "How Far I'll Go" touched something inside me. I have always wanted to go. To travel and see the world. To go on adventures. The kind that you come back bruised and tired and satisfied. The kind that they make movies about.

The older I get it seems like the further this dream gets away from me. Soon I'll be too old, right Hollywood? After all thirty-year-old women don't go on adventures. Moana faces this same desire. However, she breaks free from this innate all-encompassing fear. She also sees the consequences of this desire. To travel, she must leave her family, leave the roots and island that she loves.

Moana chooses to follow her desires, regardless of the thoughts of others. She believes she has to travel across the ocean to find Maui to restore the heart of Te Fiti. When she leaves, she doesn't know if this is the right choice, but something inside of her tells her it is. Her journey only happens because she trusts herself and trusts what she believes in. In doing so, she manages to find the balance between following her dreams, and being with her family and supporting her traditions.

Obviously, both of these concepts are not new in the Disney storyline, Mulan faced a similar dilemma. However, these two moves are what really touched me. Perhaps its because I feel like my dreams and accomplishments have a deadline to them; as if I am rushing to achieve something before I am too old or time runs out.

I don't know what put that mentality in my head, but I do know that "Frozen" and "Moana" opened my eyes to a part of me that needs to be healed. I hope to find a way to follow in the footsteps of some of my favorite princesses.