MIRROR..MIRROR...

MIRROR..MIRROR...

Body Image

10
MIRROR..MIRROR...
pexels.com

Body image is a big problem that women and men struggle with and it strongly influences our behavior in society. What starts as wanting and wishing a change to your body can lead to an obsessive need to deceive imperfections to fit in.

Advertising for shampoo, makeup, diets and fashion, etc has a powerful effect on how we see ourselves and how we think we should look. Advertisers make people think that if they buy their product, they would look like the unreal model on TV or in magazines.

These advertisements can mislead about the actual effect of the product and give a false message to consumers like your hair has to be like this or you have to use this or look like this to be attractive.

The media has representations of men and women that have become increasingly unrealistic. Men have to look muscular and strong, women need to have the perfect hair, they have to be thin and beautiful. All of these ideas of what men and women should look like affects how we see each other and how we want to look. And It is important to know that body image is not only a problem that girls have but also boys do. Girls report more body image disturbance and eating disorders than boys but both can be equally damaged by social media.

Sometimes we like to create an unreal image of ourselves to feel better. When one of my friends posted a picture of herself she would Photoshop it so that she looked prettier, thinner or taller just to not look like herself, sometimes I could not recognize her in her pictures. Also, some people have a lot of friends on their social media that they really don’t even know just so they get a lot of likes and comments for their pictures and feel more attractive

Men and women should have a positive view of themselves and teaching them about body image and self love is very important, so they don't get the wrong idea of what body image is.