Millennials And Romance

Millennials And Romance

Why are we so anti-relationship? ​Why are we so anti-love? Anti-romance?

643
Millennials And Romance
Fiji.Travel

Millennial romance, is a type of romance I wish I could explain. To be honest, I don't think anyone in my generation can explain it. Our generation has lost the idea of romance, there's no such thing as love, and there's no such thing as loyalty. Even though our generation lacks these important characteristics of romance, we're all out here craving it. Contradicting right? Believe me, I know.

I've talked to a decent amount of guys throughout my college career so far, and I know my friends have done the same. Every single time we find ourselves caught up with a guy, we're left broken. Broken because of what they do on social media, who they're texting behind our backs, and the "I don't care about you" act we all put on.

(Guys experience this as well.)

This is what I don't get about my generation...

They say they like you, but they cringe at the word "boyfriend" or "girlfriend." They'll even meet your family, you'll spend every day together, but for some reason a title will change everything dramatically.

You can be everything someone wants, and needs, but they'll be talking to someone behind your back. You can have a 4.0, work, be determined and motivated, but that isn't enough for someone. You can not only have the brains, but the beauty, but you'll see them hitting up other girls, or guys, on social media. It still isn't enough.

You'll receive texts in the early hours of the morning, or snap chats, all begging for one thing. Not only is this super annoying, but disrespectful as well.

There's no such thing as dates. You don't get asked in person to go on a date, or even get asked through a text. Instead you'll get a text saying, "wanna chill?" Which will probably consist of you at their house, sitting on the couch watching Netflix. Exciting.

No one shows emotion, or expresses it. God forbid you ever tell someone how you feel about them, or compliment them, you look clingy and chances are they'll stop talking to you.

Why are we so anti-relationship? Why are we so anti-love? Anti-romance?

I sit here and wonder why me, the hopeless romantic, is growing up in a generation like this. Have we all been hurt before, that we're scared to open up again to someone? Is it that hard to respect someone and their feelings? Does it have to do with the music we listen to, where it consists of inappropriate sexual rap? What has gone wrong with our generation?

We should trust the person we're with, we shouldn't have to second-guess someone's every move. We should be able to open up because nothing is more sexier than vulnerability. We should be able to ask someone on a date, because it shows that we actually want to spend time with someone, rather than watching Netflix. We need to bring back romance, we need to bring back love. Nothing is nicer than not only caring about someone, but having them care about you in return.