Making the best of distance in military relationships

Dating someone in the military is far from easy, but most people don't understand the unconditional love and forgiveness they require. The military does not care about your routine, you simply have to make due. So how do you do it? How do you cope with the physical distance that comes with dating someone in the military?

51

Whether you're a girlfriend, a boyfriend, a husband, or a wife, you were introduced to the distance that comes with your relationship very early on in the relationship. To those of you who think long distance and long distance military relationships are the same thing, bless your heart. There are some days that you're okay, some days you have 100 mental breakdowns before 12 noon, and other days you can't catch your breath. Being away from the person that means the absolute world to you isn't easy, but understanding that distance isn't forever is what keeps you realistic.

Understand why they're in the service.

Making the sacrifice to fight for your country and give up your sense of normalcy isn't something everyone can do. Most of our men/women in the service begin their career very young, while most are still exploring their late teens and 20's. It isn't their choice to be across the country or even across the world. If it was up to them, they'd be wherever you are. They need support now more than ever, everything they've ever known is the past. They have began their new life, and it's your job to support them, no matter where the military takes them.

Make time, no matter what it takes.

Like I said above, military relationships are full of sacrifice. There will be different time zones, long work days, deployments, TDY's, but you still have to make time. Sometimes you'll lose sleep, sometimes you won't be able to Facetime, sometimes you won't talk for a few days, but all in all, you have to remind yourself that you're in love with the person, and the uniform just came with it. Don't hold grudges when things don't go as planned. Most of the time, your significant other has no control over the change of plans, so just go with it and make new plans!

Use this time to improve who you are.

As a military girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse, we constantly support our men and women in the service to the extent of putting our independent goals on hold. Use this free time to create the best possible version of yourself! If this means creating a gym routine, reading new books, traveling, picking up extra shifts at work, DO IT. Be sure to stay busy and adhere to your personal goals just as much as your goals with your significant other. You're just as important to this country!!!!! (You're indirectly in the military too, kinda sorta).

Never let the uncertainty of the military get in the way of your certain love for your significant other.

Think of it like this: the military may be your ever changing variable in your relationship, but you know the love you have for each other will always remain constant. No matter where the military might take them, you'll love them from thousands of miles way if that's what you have to do. Reassure your partner that you're here for it all, especially the sudden changes of plans (surprises are fun remember???).

If you don't take anything else from this blog, take this: distance is a test, a temporary one, to see how far your love for each other can travel. You're always under the same sky and soon enough, under the same roof.