Miley Cyrus Is Actually The Role Model Young Girls Need Right Now

Miley has learned from every experience and embraced who she is wholeheartedly, no matter what critics have to say.

148
Miley Cyrus / Instagram

On May 11th, Miley Cyrus released her newest single, explaining in numerous interviews and social media posts that she is working to go back to her country roots. Over the years, Miley Cyrus has experimented with many styles of music and performance, some causing more of an uproar than others. She started off as Hannah Montana, the embodiment of America's ideal sweetheart. Even once she rid herself of her double identity, Miley Cyrus was seen as a sweet young adult that should be looked up to. She was close to her family, sang "appropriate" songs, and performed primarily for younger audiences. After a period of absence from music and a messy break up, a new Miley emerged. This Miley Cyrus had short, platinum blonde hair, stuck her tongue out in every photograph, and created everyone's favorite party anthems, such as We Can't Stop. It was at this point that Miley seemed to become defined as someone that was a bad influence, someone who was lost and clearly out of her mind. Critics claimed that her sexy outfits and "outrageous" behavior were not aspects to look up to, and therefore, she could no longer be considered a role model at all, no matter how happy she was. Some went so far as to assume she had a substance abuse problem, when in reality, she probably went out less often than your average college student.

Now that Miley has begun to return to where she came from and break out of her party stage, critics have new remarks to make. Some say that she cannot be a role model because she clearly doesn't know who she is herself, or because the "phases" she goes through are simply ploys for money. I, on the other hand, believe Miley Cyrus is exactly the kind of role model people need.

Like all of us, Miley is searching for herself. How she dresses, performs, and expresses herself displays this journey of self. She is open about her continuously changing the perspective of herself, and she does not ignore or deny any part of who she is or has been. She started out young, innocent, and full of life and curiosity, just as many of us did. Despite growing up as a celebrity and constantly having an image to uphold, she ignored any backlash she received and aimed to do whatever made her happy and confident in herself. Miley also went through a party phase, as many teenagers do. She understands the pressures and the glorification of being a wild party girl, but she does not let that define her as a whole. She knows how to have fun, but still focus on important issues, such as keeping your family close or helping those in need. Now, she is embracing her origins and growing from her experiences, both artistically and personally.

Miley Cyrus is a girl who is on the journey of growing spiritually and finding herself. She has learned from every experience and embraced who she is wholeheartedly, no matter what critics have to say. She is open minded and accepting of all sorts of people and influences, allowing them to aid in shaping who she is. She is real in a world that often is not. Despite what some people believe, Miley Cyrus is just the role model girls like myself need right now.