Why Miley Cyrus Is Actually A Great Role Model

She's just being Miley.

3238
The Huffington Post

Adults (specifically my mom) are probably cringing at the idea that I’m really writing this, but that’s the whole point. This is a controversial issue for many parents and teens. Parents don’t want their children to see Miley Cyrus as a role model. In fact, according to the Daily Mail, “More than three quarters (78 percent) of the 2,287 Britons revealed that under no circumstances would they want their children to see skin-baring Miley Cyrus as a role model.” She does bare a lot of skin, smokes a lot of weed and swears like a sailor, but so do a majority of college students in America.

In the press, journalists only focus on the negative side of Cyrus. She’s often compared to Hannah Montana, and she was forced to be a role model when she starred on Disney Channel. She had to hide her real self, and now she’s not apologizing for anything. I’m not saying Cyrus is a saint, but she isn’t the bad role model she’s pictured to be. She has great qualities that all girls show have, as seen below.

Miley is confident.

She’s just being Miley. She’s confident not only in herself, but also in her sexuality. She’s honest in every live appearance and has opened up about her love life. She’s especially confident in her body and takes control of her sexuality, which should empower girls to love themselves, too.

“I’m not hiding my sexuality," said Cyrus. "For me, I don’t want to label myself as anything,” she said. “We love putting people in categories, but what I like sexually isn’t going to label me as a person.”

She knows how to make money.

The world was shocked by her performance at the 2013 VMAs. Yeah, she twerked and grinded on a foam finger. And you know what? She made the cover of every major news source the next day. Her name was what everyone was talking about, and she had one of the most popular Halloween costumes that year. By constantly being racy and controversial, she’s getting enough attention to pay the bills.

That being said, she knows that money doesn’t buy happiness. "People get more famous, so that they can make their brand more famous, so that they can sell more shit, so that they can make more money. It's a never-ending cycle," she said. "Getting more money, having more hits, being the lead in the movie — those things might stimulate you, but they don't make you happy. I've experienced it all already, and I'm telling you firsthand, it doesn't."

And she knows that blondes aren't stupid. "I almost feel like people think of me as dumb. I'm like, I'm smarter than you think. You know, I understand what you're trying to do. It's all a mind game and whatnot."

She also acknowledges the haters, and she knows that they help her make money. Attention can mean bad press, but at least it's press. "My whole thing is, haters are gonna hate, but haters are also going to click on your YouTube video just to watch it, so I don't really care. You helped me break the record. Even if you were watching just to hate on me, and now I hold the record, so I win."

“You’re always going to make people talk. You might as well make them talk for like, two weeks, rather than two seconds.”

She can really sing.

Yeah, she uses auto-tune on her album, but if you listen to her Backyard Sessions on Youtube, you can see that she can actually sing. She doesn’t need auto-tune to sound great or lip-sync at her concerts because she has a great voice.

She’s a philanthropist.

Miley uses her fame to support her charity, Happy Hippie, a nonprofit that “fights injustice facing homeless youth, LGBTQ youth and other vulnerable populations.” Miley doesn’t judge, and she’s using her voice to speak up for those who don’t have power in the community. She even had a homeless youth accept her award at the 2014 VMAs. She supports the idea that we should accept one another.

"I can actually say I am [a good role model] for what I know of what is important to teach people,” Cyrus said. “And what is important to teach people is that you can't judge other people."

She’s not Hannah Montana.

Hannah Montana kept her life a secret, but Miley is proud of being who she really is. She recently spoke out and said, “No one should have to hide who they really are, no matter what his or her name, gender, status or orientation.” She even dissed Disney when she talked about how she had to wear a flipper and get her braces removed to play Hannah Montana. She said, “Normal 14-year-olds have braces. I’m going to have braces on the show, so kids who have braces in real life know that’s OK."

She’s a feminist.

For those of you who don’t know what that means or are “meninists,” a feminist is a person who believes that all genders should have equal rights and opportunities.

"I'm just about equality, period," Cyrus said. "It's not like, I'm a woman, [and] women should be in charge! I just want there to be equality for everybody."

"I feel like I'm one of the biggest feminists in the world because I tell women to not be scared of anything," Cyrus said. "For me, it's not even that I'm a feminist. I'm for anybody. I'm for everybody, for everything. I don't care what you wanna do in your life, or who you wanna be with, who you wanna love, who you wanna look like."

Cyrus is also open about double standards in Hollywood and the entertainment industry. “There’s a sex scene in pretty much every single movie, and they go, 'well, that’s a character.’ Well, that’s a character. I don’t really dress as a teddy bear and, like, twerk on Robin Thicke, you know?” She’s also said, “There is so much sexism, ageism, you name it. Kendrick Lamar sings about LSD and he's cool. I do it and I'm a druggie whore.” Just because she’s a woman doesn’t mean she’s a “slut” or “whore.” Why should woman be degraded by these terms?

She’s wise beyond her years.

Miley is controversial, but at least she supports peace. Reacting to Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood” music video, Cyrus said, "I don't get the violence revenge thing. That's supposed to be a good example? And I'm a bad role model because I'm running around with my titties out? I'm not sure how titties are worse than guns." Does the media really support violence over nudity?

She also said this; “Going out doesn’t make you a bad person, just like going to church doesn’t make you a good person.” Good point.

She embraces being independent.

Women don’t need to rely on their partners or spouses, and Miley wants everyone to know that. “There are times in my life where I’ve had boyfriends or girlfriends. And there are times where I just love being with myself and don’t want to give part of myself away to someone else. I think that’s a new freedom for women, especially. I don’t know that my mother would have been able to be 22 and secure in being alone. But my future doesn’t rely on having a partner." Women need to accept that they can be alone and be fine. Thanks for the reminder, Miley.

Miley Cyrus might not be the best role model for children to look up to, but at least she supports love over war, not judging others, the LGBTQ+ community and being independent. If you ask me, there are far worse role models out there.