Migraine and Headaches

Migraine and Headaches

Migraine attacks are characterized by severe and recurrent headaches that are often accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light.

12
Migraine and Headaches
MedicineNet

If you are suffering with migraines and headaches, you are not alone. It is estimated that around half of adults suffer with a headache or migraine at least once a year. In fact, migraine and headaches are one of the most common problems to affect people. Migraines alone are more common that diabetes, asthma and epilepsy combined.

Some people suffer occasional headaches or migraines once or twice a year. However, many will suffer more often. In fact, the migraine trust at least three quarters of migraine sufferers suffer with at least one attacks a month. These attacks can be mild to severe. At least half migraine sufferers complain of severe impairment during migraine attacks.

Medication for Migraine

There are a wide range of medications for migraines. These medications tend to fall into different categories depending on how they're intended to be used.

Acute medication is medication that's intended to be taken when an attack occurs.

The sooner you take the medication the more likely it will be effective in stopping the attack. This type of medication should only be used as an immediate response to migraine and not as a general daily medication.

Preventative medication, also known as prophylactics, are medications taken to prevent migraine. These would be taken regularly according to a prescribed dose in order to keep the migraines at bay. It's important to follow your doctor's guidance even if you feel better. After all that's the point of preventative medication.

Botox, Vagus Nerve Stimulation and More

Botox is a treatment that has bene used in the treatment of migraine for some people. It tends to be used for patients with chronic migraine and involves Botox injections.

There are also some specific interventions for specific types of headaches and migraines. For example, cluster headaches, which are a specific category of headaches can be treated with Vagus nerve stimulation. This uses non-invasive, Vagus nerve stimulation.

There are also other devices and strategies such as external trigeminal nerve stimulation, single-pulse transcranial; magnetic stimulation and even alternative techniques like acupuncture and chiropractic.

Popular alternative remedies include Feverfew as well as supplements and herbs.

Self Help for Migraines

Migraines themselves are a neurological disorder. They can be complex and severe. Repeated attacks and frequent pain can become depressing and result in secondary conditions.

The first step is to take action. Don't suffer in silence.

If you are suffering with headaches or migraines seek professional help. Talk to a doctor, chiropractor or other healthcare practitioner.

As well as seeking help start a migraine diary. This can help identify if there's an underlying pattern as to why you're getting these migraines. The Migraine Trust also recommend exercise, improving your sleep habits and lifestyle.

Top Two Migraine Hacks

Look after yourself.

We can't avoid all stresses in life. However, be mindful when you're under stress and pressure. Avoid skipping meals, changing your sleep routines and putting yourself under undue stress.

When you're feeling under pressure it's more important than ever to look after yourself and keep yourself healthy.

Manage your medication.

Make sure you follow your medications instructions. Work with your doctor in the use of medication to manage your migraines. Migraine sufferers can tend to put of seeing the doctor and put up with symptoms that can be managed.

If your migraines have developed to the point you need to take preventative medication, then persevere with it. It can take up to 8 weeks before that medication becomes effective. Do not juggle your medication without discussing it with your doctor. Because migraine is a neurological condition it's important to use the medication carefully.