The 2018 Midterm Elections Are Over And The Results Are Extremely Important

What the hell actually happened and how does it affect you?

213

Donald Trump has been in office for almost two years now. While he hasn't done anything completely damaging to this country yet, he still has two years left. In 2016, the Republicans took control of both the US Senate and House. This allowed Donald Trump an easy route to pass any laws that coincided with Republican ideology. Thankfully, he hasn't done anything YET, but healthcare is still up to change with Trump as president. That is why this midterm election was so important. If this country wanted any chance to keep Obamacare, and/or to investigate Trump for ALL of his illegal practices, the Democrats would need to obtain the majority in the House AND Senate. Sadly, Democratic voters did not come to the polls enough to flip the Senate, with the Republicans actually gaining seats. Democrats did manage to obtain the House, but it may not be enough.

To begin, we must discuss the voters themselves. This midterm election has shown Americans that there are still white folks voting Republican. Nobody expected this to change, but the fact that people are seeing how big a joke the president is, and still voting for that pathetic party, shocks a lot of people. The farmers who voted in Trump are hurting because of tariffs. The women who voted in Trump are noticing his sexist ways, and seeing his sexist cabinet members, and still voting for him. The people who voted in Trump to build a wall, with no wall in sight, are still voting for him.

This midterm election was about Trump, even if we didn't vote for him directly. People are being let down by his lies, and still voting for him. This may be stupidity, or it may be something more, the world may never know. What we do know, is these people are heading to the polls more than Democrats are, and that is horrifying. Democrats speak louder than Republicans, but can't back it up at the polls. If this country wants to see change, they need to see Trump gone. The Democrats are going to need to the polls, including younger and older folks. Not voting is unacceptable.

Since the Democratic voters didn't vote enough, the Republicans kept control of the Senate. So what does this mean for you? Recently, Brett Kavanaugh was sworn into the Supreme Court, and it didn't come without controversy. The new justice, who was appointed by none other than Trump, was under investigation for sexual assault against women. Democrats grilled him all they could, but the Republicans had the numbers to swear him in, and that was the result. Since the Senate is still run by Republicans, any Supreme Court Justice that dies/retires will be replaced by a Trump nominee. His nominee will be Republican and will be passed in the Senate. Laws like Roe v. Wade could be overturned with the Supreme Court being predominantly Republican. This could affect everyone because everyone has an opinion on abortion.

The good news is, the House is now run by Democrats. This means that Trump will be under investigation until he is out of office. The Democrat-run House will spend a lot of their time blocking Trump's agendas and trying to get him impeached with his involvement with Russia and his taxes. This is a great sign for America because we will finally be able to tell if Trump did anything wrong. Hopefully, Democrats can push their agenda enough to keep people with pre-existing conditions covered, because that is what Republicans want to get rid of.

The 2018 midterm election was extremely important. The results will affect all of us whether we like it or not. If you want to see change, head to the polls. It is not enough to Facebook your issues, you have to vote your opinion. 2020 is right around the corner, so hopefully, people head to the polls and make the right decision.