Middle Kids Shine Bright With Latest Album 'Today We're The Greatest'

This Australian alternative/indie band are clear and decisive in their second studio album

47
Apple Music

Hailing from Sydney, Australia; the Middle Kids exploded into the music scene during 2016 with the release of their first EP Middle Kids. Gaining traction through catchy songs on the EP like "Edge of Town" and "Fire in Your Eyes," the band consisting of; Hannah Joy on lead vocals, guitar, and piano, Tim Fitz playing bass, backing vocals, and production, and Harry Day on drums and backing vocals, would go on to release their first album Lost Friends in 2018. This album cemented the band into the indie/pop genre through songs like "Mistake," and "Don't Be Hiding." The track "Edge of Town" was so popular it even wound up on Elton John's Beats 1 show. Following this success, another EP entitled New Songs for Old Problems was released in 2019. Tracks on that EP like "Real Thing" and "Call Me Snowflake" further represented how knowledgeable Joy was in the song making process, and gave further proof of the trio's talents. In 2020 the band released the single "R U 4 Me?" which was turned into a music video that same year. That song was also used to promote their new album entitled Today We're the Greatest which saw its full release in March of 2021.

Some of the more popular songs on Today We're the Greatest like "Questions," and "Today We're the Greatest" were released as music videos, and hopefully more songs on this 12 tracked album will as well. Today We're the Greatest was pleasing to hear and maintained the listener's attention the entire way through. This was due to Joy' obvious vocal talents, but also because she knew exactly what she wanted to say, and when she wanted to say it. This was prevalent during songs like "Bad Neighbors," "Lost in Los Angeles" and "Some People Stay in Our Hearts Forever" where Joy exposed her vulnerability and showed that sometimes it's okay to not be okay. Lyrics in particular that stuck out during these tracks were; "She is most beautiful when drowning. I was always counting, no one ever found me." "Should I go back? Or leave you hanging in the corner. With your old grey bag? I'm doing it again. My heart is wasting away, and I got no plan." And, "You lifted me up, I let you down. Over and over I wanted to love you, but I didn't know how. I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry."

Other songs on the album such as "Cellophane (Brain)," "R U 4 Me?" "Questions," "Golden Star," "Summer Hill," "I Don't Care," and "Stacking Chairs" leapt out to the listener due to the theatrical way each song built up and exploded in sound. Memorable lyrics like, "Hey when did you realize there's no guy with a first prize waiting at the end" from "Cellophane (Brain)" and, "I don't fucking care, I'm gonna do what I want to" from "I Don't Care" were prime examples of this album's overarching theme. Joy expressed through these songs that your life, is your life. She urged listeners to do what makes them happy and to not plan your life around other people. Do what you want to do with this one life you're given. Live for today, because today we are the greatest.