Michelle Obama's "Becoming" Inspired Me To Become A Better Person

"Find people who will make you better." -Michelle Obama

68
Michelle Obama signing her book "Becoming"

On May 6, 2020, Michelle Obama's documentary "Becoming" premiered on Netflix. Obama's documentary follows her journey over the United States to promote her best-selling memoir, which is the same title as the documentary and published on November 13, 2018.

For those who do not know what "Becoming" is about, Michelle Obama talks about her personal experiences including growing up in the South-Side of Chicago, her time being in the White House as Former First Lady to Barack Obama, and her role as a mother to Malia and Sasha Obama.

I remember buying the book a month after its release date and I enjoyed reading it. Unfortunately, I stopped reading it because I "did not have time" (don't judge me: it's a dense book and I do not want to be in a haste to appreciate her book). Due to the global pandemic, I proceeded to read her memoir. I was excited to watch the preview for the documentary released by Netflix and watched the documentary with my family the day it premiered.

We know Michelle Obama as someone who is successful, which can be intimidating to some. However, we do not think about how she got there. We do not acknowledge one's journey, especially the struggles, enough. Obama's "Becoming" is truly inspiring. Throughout her book and memoir, Obama communicates the importance of self-awareness to her audience by staying true to her authentic self when disclosing her personal experiences.

Per documentary, Obama states the following: "if we can open up a little more to each other, and share our stories, that's what breaks down barriers."

Her personal experiences are raw and relatable. It is crucial for people to share their stories because it helps us understand people come from various backgrounds. As a result, we can learn that many people have shared experiences. Nothing is more empowering than not feeling alone.

"We cannot afford to wait for the world to be equal to start feeling seen." -Michelle Obama

I resonated with Obama's statement. Disclosing your life story to others is intimidating, whether it is not knowing where to start or the fear of rejection. I'm here to validate those feelings. Nevertheless, it is necessary. We live in a world where speaking your mind is a privilege. People will hear your truth. Unfortunately, everyone isn't given the agency to speak their truth. Offering a platform where one can be their authentic self should be a right. Take advantage of the opportunity to tell your story when given the chance. This is your legacy. Who knows? You can inspire someone.

Obviously, I cannot incorporate all of Michelle Obama's personal experiences. It is not my story to tell. Plus, if I did, this article would be as long as her memoir. If you have nothing to do, I recommend reading Obama's memoir and watching the documentary. You will be inspired!