The Mets Look Promising, But Injuries Still Loom

Shades of 2017 already haunt 2018.
233

The New Mets hit the ground running in 2018, as spring training has already proven to show signs of progress for the Amazin’s. However, shades of the disaster that was in 2017 still linger in the background.

Injuries to key players such as OF Jay Bruce, OF Juan Lagares, and 1B Dominic Smith have already sprung up during the young season, and although the injuries may seem minor, the organization is still keeping an eye on them. While Smith says his injury is of “no real concern”, and the two outfielders are still listed as day-to-day, it would be in the best interest of the Mets to take all the necessary precautionary measures when handling injuries in 2018.

Last season, the Mets finished the season with a total of 22 injuries across their entire major league roster, with nearly the entirety of the 25-man roster spending at least 10 days on the Disabled List. Between the entire major league team, Mets players spent a combined 430 days on the DL, while 0 of the Mets 9 Opening Day starters played the full season without an injury. With injuries spanning anywhere from bone bruises to collapsed lungs, the Mets were the emergency room of the MLB in 2017, and this year, the team hopes to right all of their medical wrongs.

“Injuries are going to happen, no matter what you do. As long as we’re doing the right things and trying to prevent them, then it’s not going to bother you as much”, said Manager Mickey Callaway. For the 2018 Mets, the number one priority should be keeping their necessary pieces healthy, and able to put the team in a position to succeed. The name of the game is not preventing injuries, but limiting them.

Last November, once the season was officially over, one of the first orders of business for the Mets' front office was to totally revamp their training staff. Head trainer Ray Ramirez was fired after an abysmal display of upkeep in 2017, and with him, plenty of other members within the Mets medical department were let go following the 2017 season.

This season, the focus for the Mets training staff should be keeping the star players healthy. Crucial injuries to SP Noah Syndergaard, OF Yoenis Cespedes, and RP Jeurys Familia crippled the Mets' chances of making any sort of run during the regular season. Minor league caliber players were starting for the Mets by May, and by June, the team was completely out of playoff contention.

If the Mets are able to avoid these types of scenarios throughout the course of the regular season, then all of the pieces should fall into place for the organization to make an impact in the postseason.