How To Handle Mental Health In Your Freshman Year Of College
Freshman

10 Tactics For The Freshmen Already Worrying About Their Mental Health During College

Make a new friend, even if it is just one, because you need someone to be on your side while you are going through some of the new things in your life.

525
3 friends smiling next to each other

A new beginning brings changes, growth, stress, and a fresh start. There are many reasons why making the transition to college from high school is going to change your life, and they are mostly positive. However, the stress of making all these changes will impact your mental health more than you probably understand.

When things start to get complicated and you feel like dropping out is the only choice left, take a look at these 10 tips that will get you through your next chapter. Your story is really just beginning.

1. Put your best foot forward

If you have a strong start, you are going to be ahead of the game. If you ever start to feel like you are falling behind, you can usually access most of your classes entire semesters worth of notes, homework assignments, and important dates through their websites. Get your work turned in early and start assignments early. Take notes before class so that you can add key points, and highlight important details in class.

2. Get organized

If you write down your important dates and keep all of your papers in order in binders or folders, you are going to feel more prepared for all of your deadlines. Also, you will be able to plan gatherings with your friends, plan the most convenient times to study, and find enough time in your schedule to take a much-needed nap.

3. Remember to take some time off for yourself

Take time to binge watch, nap, do a face mask, get a pizza, or go for a run. All that matters is you do it with yourself, for yourself. You are going to be around people constantly. You are going to be meeting new people, maybe seeing old friends, and you will feel like you should be "experiencing" things even though you should be taking care of yourself. You don't have to go to every party, and taking a Saturday off to relax instead of study will not kill you.

4. You will not fail because of one bad grade

It is not the end of the world to get one bad grade. You will be able to make it back up, and you will be OK Just make sure that you don't make a habit of falling behind. If you are worried about something, try talking to your professor. They are there to help you.

5. Your professors are going to help you, if you let them

As long as you are able to be respectful, you pay attention, and you contribute to class sometimes, your professor will have no problem helping you attain that grade you are looking for. It makes their lives easier if they have someone willing to learn. Allow them to help you become your best self- that is their job.

6. Make friends, because they will help you

I was the biggest advocate of "no new friends" when I came to Rutgers. I let one person into my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. She has motivated me, been there for me, and has shown me that no matter what. I have someone I can go to when I'm in need. We take the same classes, so we can study together, and I have someone to spend my long breaks between the class with. Make a new friend, even if it is just one, because you need someone to be on your side while you are going through some of the new things in your life.

7. Make sure you keep in contact with your family and friends back home

Even if you are a commuter student, this is incredibly important. You need to hold on to the people in your life that you love and that love you. It is so important that you reach out to those who love you, and you allow the people that love you to reach out to you. The people at home are the ones who have known you the longest and will be able to help you when you need it most, you will be thankful that you have them.

8. Save money

One of the things that you will probably start stressing about most now is money, put some aside in case of an emergency. Even if you just out a couple dollars in a secret container in your drawers. Save something. You never know when a time will come where you will need it, and you will be far less stressed if you have some backup god forbid something happens.

9. Make time to study

Even if you never have before because you "don't need to." Just study. You will feel more confident walking into your exams, you will be able to get done quicker, and you will see the change in your grades. Just study a little bit of the information, because all of your classes are getting more difficult and some of the information might run together. So make sure that you know exactly what you are talking about.

10. Enjoy yourself

Stop worrying if everyone likes you. Stop thinking about what could go wrong. Stop panicking about your exams. You are going to be wonderful. You are accomplishing something amazing. Let your hair down sometimes and remind yourself that life is too short to not have fun. Go to the games, go to the party, join a club. Nothing is out of your reach if you set your mind to it. You got this.

College is a time for change, but too much can stress you out. Remember these 10 tips so that you can make the best out of every experience. You have the world in your hands.