Men's Hair 102: Hair Products

Men's Hair 102: Hair Products

A guide to men's hair products.

592
Men's Hair 102: Hair Products
Hanz de Fuko

Hair products are not one-size-fits-all, and different hair types and hairstyles necessitate different products. There are several different types of hair products, and the categories are a little loose, so the biggest thing to look for is the hold level and shine level you want. Hair products come in a range of hold levels and shine levels, from ultra-matte strong holding products like clays, to high-shine, low-medium hold products like creams. As a general rule, thicker hair requires a higher hold, because it is harder to style. However, it all depends on what style you chose, as messier and looser styles require lower hold levels regardless of hair type.

My favorite type of hair product is clay. Most hair clays are wax and/or oil based and have bentonite clay in them to help give the product a higher hold and a matte finish. Bentonite clay is also good for your hair. Because of their high hold and low shine, clays are great for thick hair, and/or really complex, sculpted styles. Clays also provide a lot of great texture to your hairstyle. A lot of people with undercuts use clays or similar products to style their hair. My favorite clay is Cavalier Clay, by Blumaan. Cavalier Clay is one of the highest-holding clays I have used, and I really like it. It has several hair-healthy ingredients and is just overall a great product. The way I typically style with a clay is to first make sure your hair is fully dry, then taking a fingerful and rubbing it between my hands, and then working it through my hair and beginning to style. Once I have the overall shape, I get a much smaller fingerful, warming it up in my hands again, and applying it over the top of my hair and giving it the final shape. Clays are best applied in layers, but this might be different depending on your hair type. Some other great clays include Claymation by Hanz de Fuko and Clay Pomade by Baxter of California.

Another type of men's hair product is wax. Most waxes are wax-based like they sound, but a few are water-based and wash out much more easily. Waxes are usually medium-hold products, with shine levels ranging from low to medium. Waxes are great for shorter, more textured styles, because of their medium hold, texture, and pliability. I have not used many waxes myself, but I would suggest Sponge Wax or Hybridized Wax by Hanz de Fuko because they usually get good reviews, and Hanz de Fuko is a good, high-quality company.

Another, well-known type of men's hair product is pomade. Pomades are high-shine and medium-to-high hold and come in three types. The first type is oil-based pomade, which is possibly the first type of men's hair product ever. Oil-based products usually contain petrolatum as their main ingredient. As such, oil-based pomades are very pliable and re-workable, but they don't wash out very well, and often cause build-up. Lockhart's Authentic Grooming Co. makes some great oil-based pomades, including their Goon Grease and Heavy Hold pomades. The second type of pomade is traditional water-based pomade. Traditional water-based pomades are still shiny and still have a medium hold, but they are water-based, which means that they wash out better than oil-based pomades. However, there are some downfalls. Traditional water-based pomades usually harden up, meaning that they can't be restyled very well during the day. This also means that the hold can be broken, which means that the style will fall apart more easily. A good traditional water-based pomade would be Hard Water Pomade by Baxter of California. The final type of pomade is unorthodox water-based pomade. Unorthodox water-based pomades are a best-of-both-worlds solution to the problems of oil- and water-based pomades. They are pliable and re-workable, like oil-based pomades, but wash out easily, like water-based pomades. Unorthodox water-based pomades are becoming more popular as more and more companies manufacture them. A great unorthodox water-based pomade would be Fifth Sample pomade by Blumaan.

And finally, here are some great products that don't have a particular category. Original Styling Meraki by Blumaan is a really cool product. It was designed to be a pre-styler, meaning you put it into damp hair before blow-drying into place, and a post-styler to finish your style off. It has a heat protectant built into the formula, to prevent damage to your hair from blow-drying, making it a great pre-styler. It also has a medium-high hold and natural finish, making it a great wax-ish post styler. Another cool product is Quicksand by Hanz de Fuko. Quicksand is a combination of dry shampoo and styling product, meant to be used on unwashed hair to soak up the excess oil. This is great if you don't have time to wash your hair or have hair that needs to be washed less. Because of the dry shampoo, Quicksand is an ultra-low shine product, with a pretty high hold.

There are many more hair products and types than this, Here are some examples. I would suggest looking at the offerings of companies like Blumaan, Hanz de Fuko, Lockhart's Authentic Grooming Co., or Baxter of California and see what they have. Often, companies like these will give you recommendations if you email their customer service department.