It’s OK For Guys To Cry
Politics

It’s OK For Guys To Cry

We're only human.

109
It’s OK For Guys To Cry
Andrew E Weber

So, what is crying? It is the release of tears to express signs of sorrow, stress, and in some cases, happiness. For centuries, society has conditioned the message that "Boys don't cry". Men who cried were considered "unmanly" or "p*ssies". This just shows what a crappy job we, as human beings have done in creating stereotypes that suppress a natural stress relief.

I'll admit it. I've cried before. I've cried an endless number of times while watching Lion King! I've cried at funerals, graduation ceremonies, etc... There have been several moments when I felt like crying and quitting. There is no shame in admitting that. We're only human. We have emotions. We must express our emotions.

Lion KingTumblr

This stigmatization of men expressing their emotions needs to be eliminated. This causes a psychological buildup of negative and pessimistic intentions that eventually turns into toxic masculinity or higher suicide and depression rates. What society labels as normal or deviant, should not matter. Screw those who say weak men cry. It takes courage to express your emotions. We are human beings, not robots. Life can be a b*tch sometimes. At those points in time, some of us find it difficult. It's only natural.

JayZ 's interview with NYT

The strongest thing a man can do is cry. To expose your feelings, to be vulnerable in front of the world. That's a real strength. You know, you feel like you gotta be this guarded person. That's not real. It's fake." - Jay Z

It's okay to have a breakdown. It's okay to be considered "weak" if that's what society wants to label it. It's alright to ask for help. But what's important, is that once you have a breakdown, you must get back. No matter how great the setback, you must always get back on your feet. If it means, asking for help. DO IT. Don't hold yourself back because of what society thinks.

If you see somebody cry, don't mock that person, or speak behind their back. Ask them how they're feeling and if there's anything you can do to help them. To all those who are holding back their emotions and tears, learn to love yourself. By suppressing all those negative emotions inside of you, you are causing more harm than help. If you clench your fist while holding sand, it will only trickle out faster. Learn to approach your emotional side.