Movie Review Megalodon

A Mega Film Review

The Meg a creature feature for a new generation.

20
A Mega Film Review
Photo from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udm5jUA-2bs

The Meg, which premiered in American theaters August 10th 2018. Taking place 200 miles off the coast of China, where a deep-sea submersible—international undersea science and observation installation—conducting research in the Mariana Trench discover they might have bitten off more than they could chew in discoveries. As a research vessel is stranded at the bottom of the world Jones Taylor, played by Jason Statham, a former deep-sea rescue diver is brought in to save the day.

But, un-be-known to them they might bring back up more than just their trapped researchers. As their rescue vessel tears a hole through the oceans thermal layer and into the deep cold ferment separating their newly discovered underwater world. It opens a brief doorway to the oceans, releasing the once thought to be an extinct 70-foot shark, the Megalodon. Un-be-known to Jones Taylor, he had encountered the same creature 5 years before during a deep-sea submarine rescue, when everyone else told him he was crazy for what he had witnessed. Now with the ferocious predator on a feeding frenzy, Jones Taylor and the research crew must face their fears and throw-to-the-curb what they think they know about science in order to stop the shark from completely changing the pecking order.

The film was lined up to be a hot, end of summer film. It is with no surprise that there were a few Jaws references throughout the movie. Subtle, but noticeable to any true Jaws fan. Though it was advertised to be an amazing hot-ticket shark-munching action flick, it fell a bit short with its corny and at times ridiculous scenes. Leaving this film in the realm of a late 80's B-Movie, instead of a modern Horror-Action.

Additionally, there were some crucial scenes that are as unbelievable as they are unrealistic. Though we are treading in unknown waters, science reflects the Megalodon to be nearly the same anatomy of that of a modern Great White Shark. That being said, the Great White Shark has to constantly swim forward or it risks dying and or drowning, this is due to its unique breathing system. There are also some extremely corny death scenes that counter the scenes emotional intent.

With all that being said the overall film was entertaining with some unique jump scares that surprised even myself. I would recommend it to the B film genera fan as well as the die-hard Jaws franchise fan. Being that the movie is rated for PG-13 I would not recommend bring any younger of an audience to the films gory and at times violent environment.

I give this movie a 3 out of 5 starts and do recommend it for a fun, unique film of the summer. Rogerebert.com gives the movie a 3 out of 5 stars. IMBD.com gives The Meg a 6.1 out of 10 stars, while Rottentomatoes.com gives it a Tomatometer of 46%.