Megadeth: 'Youthanasia' Album Review

Megadeth: 'Youthanasia' Album Review

'Youthanasia' is a more than worthy follow-up to 'Countdown to Extinction' thanks to its refined but hard hitting heavy metal sound.

717
Megadeth: 'Youthanasia' Album Review
amazon.com

Youthanasia is the sixth studio album by the American thrash/heavy metal band, Megadeth. The album lasts a duration of 49:57. It was released on November 1, 1994, under the record label known as Capitol Records.

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine – vocals, rhythm guitar, lead guitar

Marty Friedman – lead guitar on all tracks, rhythm guitar

David Ellefson – bass

Nick Menza – drums

Additional Musicians:

Jimmie Wood – harmonica on "Train of Consequences" and "Elysian Fields"

Production:

Produced and mixed by Max Norman and Dave Mustaine

Assistant engineer – Mike Tacci

2nd assistant engineer and drum technician – Bruce Jacoby

Guitar technician – Michael Kaye

Mastered by Bob Ludwig

Background:

Following the massive success of Countdown to Extinction, Megadeth would continue their evolution towards a more commercial sound with Youthanasia. The songs are definitely more groove driven and still feature some excellent guitar solos. I really enjoy the overall song writing shown on this release.

Youthanasia may be the slowest album from the band yet, but it still maintains its heaviness thanks to its guitar riffs that have a "bite" to them, Mustaine's eerie and bitter sounding voice, and the terrific guitar solos. Lyrically, this is definitely the band's most mature effort yet. I love the deeper meanings of many of the tracks. The production value sounds fantastic as well.

Youthanasia reached number 4 on the Billboard 200. The album has since gone Platinum in the United States. Each track will be rated as follows: Awful, Very Poor, Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Great, and Superb. Here are my thoughts on each track:

Track Listing:

1. "Reckoning Day" 4:34

The guitar riff and thundering drums make this an excellent opening track. Dave's vocal delivery definitely retains that raw delivery, but sounds a bit more refined than in the past. I really enjoy the more emotional feeling of this track.

Grade: Great

2. "Train of Consequences" 3:26

The opening guitar riff in this track is nasty and Dave's vocals are great as well. The chorus is definitely one of the most memorable from the entire album. The guitar solo is definitely one of my favorites from the entire album.

Grade: Great

3. "Addicted to Chaos" 5:26

This song employs a powerful drum opening that is met with a really groovy chugging guitar riff. The chorus is another powerful and memorable one from the album. The drum beat to the song will make anybody head bang a little. The guitar solo continues the trend of excellent solos from this album.

Grade: Great

4. "A Tout le Monde" 4:28

I adore this softer, but so powerful Megadeth track. Dave sounds fantastic. The acoustic guitar opening as well as the other softer guitar sounds are perfectly blended with the heavier guitar parts. The chorus is definitely one of the best the band has ever done. The guitar solo perfectly fits the rest of the track.

Grade: Superb

5. "Elysian Fields" 4:03

This track is definitely one that utilizes some of the better guitar riffs from the album. I really enjoy the backing melody during the chorus. Dave's vocals are also very enjoyable on this track. The harmonica solo is another unique touch that makes this song great.

Grade: Great

6. "The Killing Road" 3:57

I love the guitar riffs that are utilized during this track. They are definitely some of the best from the album. The bass work is also awesome. The chorus is so catchy and memorable. Dave's unsettling vocals definitely fit this song. The guitar solos are basically flawless and they are some of my favorites from the album.

Grade: Great

7. "Blood of Heroes" 3:57

This song begins with another very groovy guitar riff that will make anyone nod their head up and down. I really love the chorus thanks to the catchy lyrics and the backing vocal melodies. I love the guitar soloing on this track. It's absolutely outstanding.

Grade: Great

8. "Family Tree" 4:07

This song begins with another epic opening guitar riff. The bass lines that are employed really are well utilized during the song. The guitar riffs and licks are also really nice. Megadeth continues to make their most catchy choruses ever with this track. The guitar solo is basically perfect. Marty Friedman really is one of the best guitarists of all time.

Grade: Great

9. "Youthanasia" 4:09

I love the guitar riffs utilized on this track. The beat of the song is another slower pace that I cannot help but nod my head to. I really love the lyrics of the track. I love the riffs that occur around the 2:30 just before the terrific guitar solo.

Grade: Good

10. "I Thought I Knew It All" 3:44

I love the chugging guitar riff that is employed here. Dave's menacing vocals are fantastic as well. The chorus is extremely catchy yet again as I have come to expect from this album. The guitar solo is excellent as per usual for Megadeth.

Grade: Great

11. "Black Curtains" 3:39

This track has a dark and menacing feeling to it that does not let up throughout the entirety of the track. The guitar riffs are great and the chorus is very memorable. The guitar soloing is top notch, even for this album's standards.

Grade: Great

12. "Victory" 4:27

This is a bit of an odd track because it names many of Megadeth's previous track titles. It is definitely one of the more awkward tracks from the album, but I cannot help but enjoy it. The bass lines are very groovy and because of the song's upbeat and unique nature it really sticks with me. The chorus is also very catchy. The guitar soloing is extremely well done on this track as both Dave and Marty utilize speed and technically sound playing to hit each note perfectly.

Grade: Great

My Verdict:

Megadeth's Youthanasiais never really mentioned among Megadeth's best, but I believe it is one of their most consistent and best all around efforts. The slowed tempo may have made some thrash fans steer away from this band, but I enjoy all sorts of diffent sub-genres of metal. This is one of Megadeth's best lyrical albums and is definitely one of Dave's best albums vocally. The production sounds great and I enjoy the style of the music. Youthanasia is easily one of the most underrated Megadeth albums of all time.

Rating: 9 / 10