Meeting The Parents: 101

Meeting The Parents: 101

264
Meeting The Parents: 101

Meeting the parents seems to be just as nerve-wracking as it is exciting. It's the moment in the relationship where you realize it's not just laying on the couch on Fridays and eating fro-yo but rather he actually likes you for who you are so much so, he wants you to meet his Mom and Dad. *Insert excited giggle then sudden panic attack here* It's exciting because it's a huge step, but at the same time, you're about to come into contact with the two people who shaped the person you're head over heels for and you know you're about to get judged, HARD.

Parents make me nervous not because I'm scared of who they are but I know I wouldn't want to meet my parents. After the guy leaves, my mother spends the next 48 hours talking through with me if he held open the door, if he offered to help do the dishes after dinner, if he made the guest bed, if he put the toilet seat down, and analyzing every word that came out of that poor boy's mouth. THAT is what scares me. I'm so nervous that they'll do the same thing to me and talk though all my actions with their son. Will they like my sense of humor? Will I end up dressing differently than I should of for the event? Is my breathing too loud? What if I accidentally burp during the church service on Sunday? So many thoughts and so much excitement.

Here's a small guide of things to do (and not to do) when meeting the parents!

Dress appropriately.

Do not show up to his family barbecue dressed like a borderline high end stripper. Do not wear anything that shows your lower back, cleavage, butt, or belly button. No low cut shirts, no tight short shorts, and NO crop tops. Avoid anything too tight or sparkly. Don't dress like you do during finals week either though. RIP fashion. You want to wear something you can breathe in and won't spend the whole night tucking your boobies into or pulling down, but you also don't want to look homeless. Figure out a nice balance, think Jackie, not Kesha.

Don't drink for your nerves.

They don't call it liquid courage for nothing. Whoever said alcohol was a good idea to calm nerves was also stupid. Alcohol is potentially the worst idea you could ever have when it comes to meeting parents. I had a great friend who went to dinner and ordered wine the first time she met his parents. Neither of them drink and she ended up letting her $9 glass of Chardonnay from Napa Valley sit there and shame her all throughout dinner. You don't need alcohol to be comfortable, a beer or two is okay but gauge the situation first. Pretty logical advice, but don't pregame either, because as much as everyone may have enjoyed dinner, no one want's to experience it twice.

Ask questions.

Parent's love 20 questions, and if you don't ask questions back, you'll end up feeling like you're playing truth or truth all night. Answer with a "yes" or "no" but then elaborate. The more you can expand on a subject, the more eloquent and informed you seem. Eventually, you will find something in common too. Keep in mind though, you don't have to talk the whole time. Know when to speak and and when to listen. It's all about enjoying each other's company so laugh at his dad's corny jokes and listen to his mom talk about Gina from work whose son just got a job at the law firm across town after graduating third in his class from Harvard Law School. This is their everyday conversation and you've been invited to join in on it. Don't dominate it.

PDA: Please Don't A-Do That Just, Don't Do It.

Public Display of Affection, PDA, is a major no-no when it comes to meeting parents. Don't do anything around them you wouldn't be comfortable seeing them do around you. For example, holding hands: YES , making out in the backseat of the car while his parents drive and/or try to feel each other up: NO. If you question it, don't do it. Keep a respectable distance from each other physically. You don't have to be ice statues, but don't be too comfortable. Remember, this is still their baby boy and they are forming an opinion about you.

Fake it 'till you make it.

Just kidding, do the exact opposite. If you have reached the point where he has invited you to meet his parents, it's probably a relatively serious relationship. Allow yourself to be vulnerable and comfortable. These people are just people, they've gone through the whole "meeting the parents" thing too. It might have been almost 100 years ago, but they remember what it was like. Keep in mind too, your boyfriend likes you for you and he wants to show that super awesome, cool chick version of you to his parents, not some version of her that she things is better or more impressive. Be real and be relaxed. Don't put too much weight on it or be overanxious. Besides, if you get super nervous or feel pressure, just look at that super cute guy beside you and his smile and pretend it's just you talking to him. It'll take a lot of the pressure off and oddly a simple smile can add a world of confidence to a girl.

Just remember to relax, dress class, stay sober, and don't shove your tongue down his through in front of him mom and GiGi and you're good to go. He wants you to meet his parents so you know he wants to share who you are with the people he loves most, support him the most, and are his core and foundation. That's a pretty cool gig you got going there chica. You're important to him and so is his family. It's important that important people know each other. Be yourself because that's the self he loves and enjoy the experience. You're about to meet the people who shaped the guy you love and that's pretty exciting. Let yourself be giddy and nervous but remember you are strong and confident and they will love you. If they don't, you can always just move to California and avoid going home to see his family for holidays because you don't make enough to fly back that often. You can be happy and live in a loft with your dog named Jack and drink super expensive green smoothies far, far away from your in-laws.