Meet The Reporter: Why I chose my major

Meet The Reporter: Why I chose my major

My name is Cara Martinez and my writing skills and journalism background motivated me to go to Journalism School

6
Meet The Reporter: Why I chose my major
Cara Martinez

Growing up my whole life, I was never a fan of classes were you couldn't be creative. Having to read boring books, solve math problems and learning conversions in chemistry was so tedious for me. I enjoyed classes where I could express myself such as orchestra class, english, yearbook and the school newspaper. Once I learned how to write in my early days of elementary school I realized that I was naturally good at it. The years went on and I was a straight A english student and writing essays didn't bother me so much.

My sophomore year of High School I started thinking about what I wanted to study in college. I had a poetry blog and I was heavily involved with the school paper, so I just decided to stick with what I was good at. I did consider non-writing majors such as psychology, political science and film. I decided journalism was going to be the best decision for me because I had so much experience and interest so I decided to keep going. After applying to 7 colleges, the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State accepted me. This was the best journalism school I got into out of the schools I applied to. I went on the tour and I was blown away by the technology, professors, opportunities, and connections within the school.

Once I joined the Cronkite school my freshman year I decided to focus in Public Relations. I am currently in a writing and reporting class and I plan on taking my first PR classes next semester. Journalism has been stressful, awarding, frustrating, exciting and so much fun at the same time. Being in a major that causes me to get out of my comfort zones and deal with demanding deadlines has strengthened me as a student and reporter.