Marvel Phase 4: 5 Biggest Reveals From The Announcement

Marvel Phase 4: 5 Of The Biggest Reveals From the Announcement

Marvel Studios still has plenty of gas left in its tank.

21
https://geektyrant.com/news/marvel-studios-announces-phase-4-at-comic-con-here-are-all-the-awesome-details-and-logos-fantastic-four-and-blade-included
Geek Tyrant

The announcement that fans have been waiting months for following the closing credits of "Avengers Endgame" is here. San Diego Comic-Con 2019 brought a whole slew of announcements, but Marvel's Phase 4 really got everyone talking.

Marvel Studios are known for "Iron Man", "Spider-Man", and "The Avengers". The studio is going back to basics where instead of household names, Marvel are relying on more obscure properties (as well as a few household names) to carry the next few years. It is a gamble, but Marvel has become the number one brand in the world with the gambles they have taken so far.

Phase 4 can't come soon enough.

5. The Avengers remain disassembled.

https://time.com/5577454/avengers-endgame-deaths/

Amidst all of the Phase 4 castings and release date agreements, one lingering question that fans had is where do the most successful superheroes on film "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" (or what's left of them) fit into this upcoming phase? "The Avengers" is Marvel Studios's flagship series, with its recent entry "Endgame" dethroning James Cameron's "Avatar" as the highest-grossing film of all time.

The series has been a box office juggernaut since its first film in 2012 grossing over one billion worldwide and increasing with its sequels. It would make sense for Disney executives to want another "Avengers" film out as soon as possible, but that doesn't seem to be the case (at least for now). Marvel looks to be focusing on other properties and experimenting with characters that are not marquee names but still have a cult following from comic fans.

A route Marvel could be using similar to their Phase 1 strategy is slowly building up to a new "Avengers", so when a new iteration of the team returns, it will feel earned for audiences.

4. But familiar faces will still be present.

theringer.com

Though a new "Avengers" film may be a ways off, fans of the series can be reassured that longtime characters of the MCU will remain in the universe. Like the comics that inspired the films, the superheroes and super villains of the universe will always run into each other and interact. This has been one of the main appeals of the MCU and will continue in full force in Phase 4.

Kicking off Phase 4 will be the long-awaited "Black Widow" film that Scarlett Johansson will headline with "Stranger Things'" David Harbour, Florence Pugh ("Fighting With My Family"), Rachel Weisz ("The Mummy"), and O-T Fagbenle ("The Handmaids Tale").

Sequels to "Doctor Strange" and "Thor" with Avengers Scarlet Witch and Valkyrie as co-leads are also on the way, while an original Avenger Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) will be getting a Disney Plus series. Even though the change has to happen to freshen things up for the series, the old school will still very much be featured.

3. Diversity will be at the forefront.

cosmicbooknews.com

Phase 4 and beyond may not be your father's MCU, but that is okay. Gone are the days of a generally primarily white cast superhero film with a few black co-stars to call diversity. "Black Panther" proved to not only Marvel but studios everywhere that films centered around an all-black cast or minority group can be profitable. Thanks to the success of that film and other non-superhero films that followed (ex. "Crazy Rich Asians"), the door swung right open for "Shang Chi" or a "Black Widow"-led film, which unfortunately would have been a pipe dream ten years ago.

But the world is changing. Now audiences can have a female Thor leading a movie. A new team of immortal ancient aliens of different colors and personalities is now a concept that audiences welcome with open arms. While some may see a more diverse roster of heroes as Marvel going "woke", this is the world we live in, so it's time our superheroes reflect that as well.

Now everyone can be represented and see themselves on the big screen. Like the world it is based upon, the MCU is growing and expanding to a wider degree. But that allows experimenting with more film genres like martial arts films. Who wouldn't want to watch an "Enter the Dragon"-inspired Marvel martial arts film?

2. The Universe will continue to expand.

screenrant.com

Arguably, the biggest bomb that Marvel dropped when it came to their next wave of films was the news that two-time Oscar winner Mahershala Ali ("Moonlight, "Green Book") will take on the role of vampire hunter Eric Brooks aka Blade. A new "Blade" film was inevitable. Blade goes hand-in-hand with the diversity kick that Marvel seems to be going with, and the original films starring Wesley Snipes were not only successful but helped pave the way for the superhero renaissance fans are currently living in today.

Marvel Phase 1 was very earthbound with the exception of "Thor," while Phase 2 began the real risk-taking and took the action to space with the introduction of the "Guardians of the Galaxy." Culminated in Phase 3 which really brought those two elements together with bits and pieces of magic from "Doctor Strange" sprinkled in throughout.

Now, with "Blade" being introduced, Marvel looks to want to dab their toes into horror, a genre that can be very appealing for audiences when done right. But, most importantly, it keeps the franchise ever-expanding and fresh that feels nothing like where they started. How far we've come from a man building an iron suit in a cave and a soldier out of time being taken out of ice.

1. Disney Plus is essential.

screenrant.com

In the age of streaming services and digital media, the service to get for hardcore Marvel (and obviously Disney) fans is Disney Plus. Like an actual comic, Disney Plus allows Marvel to introduce more characters and storylines without having to release six films in one year. Like the films, Marvel is always finding ways to experiment in the MCU.

From a "Falcon and The Winter Soldier" TV series set after the events of "Endgame" to "What If?", a "Twilight Zone" esque animated anthology series that will chronicle alternate scenarios of various MCU characters narrated by Jeffrey Wright ("Shaft", "Westworld") as alien being The Watcher, Marvel knows how to tie into their films.

While the Netflix Marvel shows were more of an inconsequential add-on, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige reaffirmed that the Disney Plus shows will be crucial to understanding the films. It may be a lot for a person to commit, but Marvel is sticking to their guns.

Whether it is with Eternals or Shang Chi, Marvel is at a point where they can do really do no wrong. People will flock to the cinemas just so long as that brand logo is above the title. The massive "Infinity Saga" of the past three phases is done, which allows the studio to just have fun with its characters again, while also planting the seeds for another massive storyline.

Time will tell if this ambitious slate of films and shows stick the landing, but Marvel has yet to truly fail.