Spring Doesn't Have Just One Start Date

Spring Doesn't Have Just One Start Date

It actually has another starting day that you might have not heard of!

87
Spring Doesn't Have Just One Start Date

If it's mid-March and you are still wearing a winter jacket to go out, I have good news for you, spring is officially here.

Although we may not feel it yet through the temperature, the fact that the season is here will give us more daylight, later sunsets and colorful blossoming flowers. Slowly but surely.

And is March 20th the official start of spring or was it on the first of this month?

There are actually two ways to determine the start of the seasons: astronomical and meteorological.

According to the meteorological method, spring has already started!

This system stems from the temperature cycle and the atmosphere's state. It also goes along with the seasons of the year, forming four seasons with three months each, such as Spring: March, April and May.

In other words, based on the meteorological method, Spring began on March 1 and will end on May 31.

On the other hand, the first day of spring, also referred to as vernal equinox, starts on March 20 and ends on June 21 based on the astronomical system.

This system is based on where the Earth's orbit is at in connection with the sun. The method also considers solstices, which are the longest and shortest days, and equinoxes, which refers to the same amount of daylight and darkness in a day.

Therefore, March 20 marks the first day of spring in the northern hemisphere, while, in the southern hemisphere, this day will be beginning of the season of autumn (autumnal equinox.)

The vernal equinox is celebrated in many ways in different cultures.

For example, in Mexico, people visit the pyramids in Teotihuacan and Chichen Itzá to receive the season. It is believed that indigenous cultures realized rituals to receive the sun's energy. Therefore, visitors dress in white to get energy from the sun.

Mayans and Mexicas held incredible astronomical knowledge. Proof of this is during the vernal equinox in the Kukulkán temple in Chichen Itzá. The shadow of a snake is formed with the sunlight, which is to bring tribute to their ancient god Quetzalcóatl.

You've perhaps also heard that during vernal equinox you can stand a raw egg due to Earth's position with the sun, but sorry to disappoint you, this is false. With a lot of time and focus, you can try this any other day of the year. What actually is true is that nature will be more alive than ever!

It is said that on this day, more worms come out from the earth; therefore its name of "Full Moon Worm" for March's full moon.

March is also the ideal month to plant. Trees and flowers are sensitive to temperature, so with the sunny days and gorgeous weather coming up, you might want to start planting your favorites.

Do you enjoy listening to birds sing? Well, thanks to the boost of sunlight, birds sing even more. And you might see these, and butterflies, more often in the sky since they migrate to the north.

So start planting your favorite flowers, take advantage of the increase in daylight and enjoy the sunny days that this amazing season offers!