In Written Pursuit

So just a few weeks ago, I started discussing the creation of a personal, at home office space. I've decided to abandon that discussion, for now at least. I myself will continue to build and design my home office. Instead, I wanted to discuss my current quest. I am in search of a unique writing item, unique at least in this day-in-age and probably for my generation even. I am talking about my quest to find a Typewriter. Yes, I said typewriter. Now, it is true a computer, IPad, etc. are easy to find and are everywhere. It is also true that you can jump onto amazon.com and buy a typewriter. But, for the most part, these are heavily made and supported by plastic parts. Probably something you would buy for decor, a heavy paperweight, or just for show, or perhaps even for occasional use. No, I am searching for thee, typewriter. A manual typewriter with metal working parts. One that will last my lifetime for sure.

I had an IBM electric typewriter, with the tiny little screen and limited characters. One other glorious thing it had the correction-feature. This typewriter died on me a few years back. My world has not been the same ever since. What a sad story, truly, I am aware it sounds a little silly, especially in this day-in-age. But, nonetheless, it is an amazing writing tool. For those of you who are probably saying 'Who is this guy....why is he living in the past...' Let me explain. I love to write stories. Fiction, scripts, and poetry is my big thing. I work full time as well as I am still going to college; more or less on a part-time status. I work in an office. I am looking into the lighted screen eight-plus hours a day, then have online school, which requires me to use my computer some more. So, at the end of the day, or the end of the week. It is a nice change of pace to use the typewriter.

I can leave my phone and computer and my IPad; in the other room while I set up in my at home office with no electronics! Other than, the lightening of course and my radio/record player. Set a fresh piece of un-inked paper in and type. Concentrating solely on the story. Undistracted by electronics and losing myself into the rhythmic clacking of the keys. Not only do I find that I lose myself easily into this process, but I find I write more quickly and creatively. And so, I am still on the hunt. Looking to buy a manual typewriter. But, my searching has so far continued to be met by roadblocks. Missing pieces, not working typewriters, or expensive typewriters that are marketed as collectibles selling for thousands of dollars. So, for now, I find myself patrolling yard sales and consignment shops in hard pursuit of the-one typewriter that will make my world remain creative. If you have any advice or know of anyone getting rid of one, let me know.