4 Things That I, A Man, Don't Understand About Abortion
Sexual Health

4 Things That I, A Man, Don't Understand About Abortion

Some things about it are truly confusing.

171

When it comes to abortion, it's obviously quite a controversial topic. The debate of when truly life begins. The debate is divided and backed by a ton of hostility, of course. There's the religious debate and those who don't believe in a religion who are still in the debate. There are some things that confuse me. Well, as a male, I can think of one to start with.

What I don't understand about abortion is how white males think it's OK to pass legislation on an issue that is pertaining to a female-only situation.

Well, one could come back and say that since I'm a white male I shouldn't be speaking my opinion about abortion. Although, I am speaking for my family, friends and peers to have the right that they are entitled to by Roe v. Wade.

What I don't understand about abortion is how people can be angry with the New York abortion bill.

Late-term abortions make people fly off the handle. And that's what most people see just from the surface and title of a news article. The bill makes late-term abortions available for women whose pregnancy is deadly to either themselves or the fetus. The late-term abortions are not for people seeking contraceptive care but instead care that will save their own lives.

What I don't understand about abortion is how people can think it's easy.

Some people frame it as a situation where you walk into Planned Parenthood or another healthcare clinic (since that's basically all Planned Parenthood is) and think that you get your sixth abortion free because you got your fifth one today. Abortion isn't like that. Knowing people who have had one personally, it's the most mentally challenging and draining thing to do. Whether it is someone escaping the foreverness of an abusive relationship or someone not wanting to heed their life. Which leads me into my next point.

What I don't understand about abortion is why people care so much.

If you don't like abortion, it's plain and simple — don't get one. It's hard to imagine a world where anyone would be pro-abortion. Abortions are strenuous, impactful and downright scary, but I don't think a woman shouldn't be allowed to have one. Not everyone believes in God or that abortion is "murder" when the fetus is so small it can't even sustain life on its own outside the womb. I don't understand why people would want to outlaw it when abortion rates decrease when countries make it legal. Therefore, if women were not able to have this kind of healthcare, abortion rates and maternal death rates would skyrocket in this country due to back-street abortions. I don't understand how this isn't compelling enough for people.

I think that in a world that has become so divided we are scared to talk about the buzzwords. We're scared that we'll offend someone or make somebody mad. The healthiest part of a democracy is that we're free to speak our minds and collaborate with people. Instead of shouting at one another, we need to be able to sit down and have mature, collected discussions about issues that may affect us.