Mamby On The Beach 2018

Mamby On The Beach, Chicago's Very Own Beach Festival

There's nothing better than live music on the beach!

78
Ben Justice

Chicago is one of the best spots in the world for live music. There's multiple festivals and even shows almost every day of the week. One of the cities most unique festivals is right on Lake Michigan, Mamby On The Beach. With a weekend filled with beach vibes and good music, it's hard to beat. Mamby hosts some of the most talented artists in music which makes it even more appealing than just the beach itself. There's a wide variety of artists and bands that come to rock out next to the lake. From Whethan to AJR, Mamby did not hold back with bringing out amazing performers.

The festival kicked off on Saturday with the sun shining and festival goers flooding into Oakwood Beach. Early in the day, Jack Harlow performed at the Park Stage. I wasn't familiar with Jack prior to seeing him but he put on an amazing show! His music was unique and the audience seemed to enjoy every second of it. Over on the Beach Stage, Chicago native Joseph Chilliams gave everyone a taste of what makes him different in the saturated music industry today. He even brought out Chicago's very own Saba to perform their track "Westside Bound 3." It was a great moment for Chicago artists to come together and perform a song for the city.

Later in the evening, AJR took the Beach Stage by storm. The energy they brought to their performance was unlike any other! With a full band, they put on a show that fans will not forget. They closed out their performance with their hit, "Weak." Everyone was singing the song at the top of their lungs and it was a great way to finish their set. After AJR, the night was topped off by Chicago's very own legend, Common. I was honestly a bit surprised when I saw Common was headlining Mamby. I realized how much love Chicago has Common, on top of everything he does to help the city. It was a great fit without a doubt and a very memorable moment for the city.

Sunday came up quick and the excitement was real. With a pretty stacked line up for the day, the energy was high from the get go. One of Russ' frequent collaborators and best friends, Bugus, started the day off in the hot Chicago weather. On the Park Stage, Ric Wilson performed his set with a full band and it was amazing to experience. The whole band was filled with passion to perform for everyone and they showed it.

Snakeships played their set shortly after and it was one of my favorite of the entire weekend. Their style seemed to be exactly what some of the festival goers needed before sets from Whethan and Russ to finish the night off. With a mix filled with mashups and electronic drops, they had the good vibes rolling right into the night. On the Beach Stage, Whethan made his way up there to perform for his city. After seeing him perform in Urbana last November, I knew this set would be one to remember. From playing a variety of his own tracks mixed with some of his favorites, the audience was so happy and vibed the entire time. The night was closed out by Russ and it was obvious that there were some huge fans of his in attendance. Usually performers have fans that know all of the words but it seemed like every person knew every single word. As much hate as Russ receives, there's no denying that he can create catchy songs. In my opinion, it was a great way to finish off the festival.

Mamby On The Beach is easily one of Chicago's most unique festivals each and every year. They host a unique range of musicians to come and play on the beach which really can't be beat. Mamby will be back and better than ever next June so keep your eye out!