Don't Miss Out, Make The Most Of Holidays Away From Home

Try celebrating at your home away from home.

298

For me, holidays are all centered around family. As a child, I would wait all year to celebrate Christmas, the Fourth of July, or Thanksgiving. This year, I am spending Easter at school and although I am feeling a little nostalgic and homesick, I am determined to make the most of the holiday.

When I was growing up, Easter meant pastel dresses, Easter bonnets, egg hunts, and decorating Easter eggs around my grandparent's kitchen table. We have a tradition of playing “eppers," a game where everyone sits around the table and you try to smash the easter egg of the person beside you. I always looked forward to this, as the winner would have bragging rights until the following year. The thing I always enjoyed most was being with my family. All of my cousins would always come back to the beach house to celebrate together, and I always treasured our walks to mass on Easter morning.

Holidays are about spending time with the ones you love and I am so lucky to have some very special people up at school to celebrate with. Our plans for Easter Sunday are simple. The day will be filled with church, brunch, and maybe an afternoon hike. It may not be conventional, but I am just looking forward to spending a relaxing Sunday with some of my best friends.

The point is to make the most of every day with people who matter to you. Holidays are for relaxing and doing things you enjoy. You might even make new traditions. Just because my experience with Easter won’t be one where I am surrounded my family, I will get to share the weekend with friends who feel like family.