making your dorm your space
Life Stages

6 Things I'm SO Happy I Brought To School

When you're in a new place, what you bring can make a difference.

78

Below are six of the things I'm so glad I brought with me to college. Anything that can make the dorm feel more comfortable and more like your space is important and will make the transition from home to school smoother!

Electric Kettle

I'm not allowed to have a microwave in my dorm because of "electricity restrictions," so an electric kettle is my go to for a hot cup of tea. I haven't tried out any of the "just add hot water meals" but I definitely could now that I have my kettle. I love having the option for hot water when I want it and it makes the dorm feel a little more cozy to be sitting in bed with a cup of tea.

Lots of lights

Dorm room lighting is harsh and florescent because of the overhead lighting, so during the day my roommate and I keep the light out and just use the light that comes in through the window. At night, we turn on the four lamps we brought, plus a Himalayan salt lamp and some fairy lights. It is so much better than just using the overhead light.

Printer

Convenience is key. Sure, there are plenty of printers around campus, but I love being able to print out whatever I want right from my desk without needing to leave my desk. If you're worried about it taking up a lot of space, put it on top of your mini fridge. The square top of the mini fridge is the perfect size for a compact printer.

Sneakers

I'm sure you're planning on bringing sneakers to school, but invest in a really comfortable pair for all the walking you'll be doing. I've worn my sneakers every single day so far, and not just to the gym. Bonus: if you're short, sneakers with a lot of foot support will give you some extra height!

Command hooks

They are amazing. Have a big heavy bathrobe to hang up but don't want to take up closet space? Command hook. Need an easy way to grab your necklaces? Command hook. Hanging a tapestry? Command hook. They can be used for so many different things and you never know when you might want one, so bring some extras.

A euro pillow

Euro pillows are the biggest square pillows they make, coming in at 26x26 inches. Chances are you'll end up sitting on your bed a lot, so a euro pillow makes it feel more like sitting up instead of slouching back. You can also put them on the floor to sit on if you have people hanging out in your dorm!

Whether you're going to school ten minutes from home or ten hours away, there are a few items that can make you feel more comfortable in your new space. Of course, it is the people you surround yourself with and the activities you immerse yourself in that will truly make a new campus feel like home, but when you're getting adjusted, it is important to have a few of the comforts of a familiar place around you.