So, What Goes Into Making A Rap Album?

So, What Goes Into Making A Rap Album?

It's not as easy as Soundcloud makes it seem...

89
rapper

If you couldn't tell by now, I am a HUGE rap fan (insert the Trump voice on "huge"). I remember scrolling through my mom's iPod and finding "Lose Yourself" by 'Eminem', and since then, I was hooked. From Eminem, my library grew with songs from Lil Wayne, Kendrick Lamar, Joyner Lucas, The Game, and so many more that I can't add them all into this article. Recently, I have been following a young artist out of New Orleans called Platinum. He's been featured in two past articles, and he was gracious enough to sit down with me for a third interview. I wanted to know what went into making his latest album "Tha Influence".

Question: What made you decide to have the variety of music styles on this album?

Platinum: Evolution, Every time I drop an album, I want to perfect my art.

Question: How long did the project take to record?

Platinum: I didn't sit down one day and decide to record for a specific project, I went into the studio and was straight recording for 4-5 months, and that's where the songs for the project came from.

Question: Do you think mixtapes are still important?

Platinum: It depends on who you are. Your fans will fuck with you regardless, but it depends on how much exposure you have. You need to keep the streets supplied when you're coming up.

Question: You rap a lot about drugs in your music, seeing the public outcry against "lean", does that have any impact on you?

Platinum: The issue I see is that these kids don't understand the culture behind it. People doing it now because they want to be "cool", but they don't understand it. Like, rappers (including myself), aren't telling kids to go pick a cup up, we rapping about our realities and what we do. If you don't know what you're doing, don't pretend to be what you're not.

Question: What do you look for when collaborating with other artists?

Platinum: Seeing how them coming into it. How excited they are about it. It's like a competition, and I love that.

Question: How important is it for artists to promote themselves on social media?

Platinum: It's as important as breathing. You need to keep yourself out there and make sure people know what you're doing.

Question: If you could "remix" any songs on the album, which would you remix and who would you have on them?

Platinum: I would take "Ain't Worried" feat. Christian Radke and put Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj on it. Also, I would remix "No Feelings" and put Lil Uzi Vert on it, that would be a dope collaboration.

This interview was another great insight into a world many people only see on their phone screens. Platinum is a unique artist that is coming from the most underrated area for music in my opinion. All he needs is time!

Check out his latest project and all his music at the link below!

Platinum