Just Because I'm An English Major Doesn't Mean I Want To Be A Teacher
Life Stages

Your major doesn't define your career.

93

Last semester I decided to change my major. I went from being a Chemistry major to an English major. Big jump, right?

So many people ask me why I switched? What was going to do with my life?

My response to everyone is that I want to get a job straight out of college and not be unemployed for six months to a year from graduating. I didn't think that it was a horrible response at all, yet it was never good enough for people.

They would continue to ask me questions and berate me for choosing English as my major. "No, what is your end goal for this change? Do you want to become a teacher?" No, I don't want to teach. I want to get a job. I already told you this and I don't know what you keep asking me.

I feel as if there is a stigma on college students to have their life all planned out. I understand that some students do have it all together, or at least make it seem like they do, but I know most do not at all. I know I don't.

In a little over one year, I am supposed to be graduating with my bachelor's degree. That scares the living hell out of me. Typing it now even makes me anxious.

I have no idea what the future is going to hold. I have a lot of friends who have already graduated that have jobs. They tell me all the time, "Abby, it doesn't matter what degree you end up with. As long as you can sell yourself to a company, you can get any job."

I have never heard anything that I have related to so much. Every day I tell myself that.

So please, when you ask a college student what their major is, don't over load them with them questions about their future. It's the same as asking a couple when they're going to get married or have babies.

It's not polite or kosher!!!

If I have something to say about a job I got or whatnot, I will tell you then, but right now my only focus is school and just surviving day to day.