Maine: The Way Life Should Be

Maine: The Way Life Should Be

This "wicked good" state is a hidden gem in the United States.

1695
Maine: The Way Life Should Be
Unsplash

When I moved to Maine four years ago, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. To be honest, I didn’t really know much about it. This rather small state on the East Coast is not particularly well known in Europe or even some parts of the United States as I came to find out later.

But in those four years, I came to love this state despite those long horrible winters that sometimes made me question my choice of moving there. Now that I moved back to Europe, I will tell anyone, whether they like it or not, about this wicked good state and how awesome it is there.

For anyone out there thinking of going there to visit or for anyone who is adventurous enough to move there, here are some reasons why Maine is not only Vacationland but also one of the best states to live in the United States.

Nature:

There is absolutely nothing more breathtaking than the nature of Maine. Throughout all four seasons, nature is something that people from all over come to admire. Whether it's the Indian Summer with incredible views of foliage as far as the eye can see, or the winter wonderland that Maine turns into as soon as the first snow hits the ground. During the summer months, the millions of hiking trails throughout the state will invite anyone to go on a little adventure and to go off the grid to recharge your batteries.

Camp:

During the summer months, most Mainers go out to camp. Camp in Maine can mean anything from a small shack with an outhouse to a nice comfortable house with all the bells and whistles. Maine has a ton of lakes and most families own some property that is on the water. The days during the summer are spent playing lawn games, going out on the water with a jet-ski, swimming and just eating tons of good food. The quality time that you spend out there makes you really appreciate the simpler things in life and will help you get through those long and cold winters.

The food scene:

Maine offers something for anyone. If you are into vegan, and healthy foods there are tons of alternative restaurants or little shops everywhere that will give you exactly that. Many of these places are locally owned and the food is sourced from surrounding farms and cooked fresh. However, if you are looking for some comfort food you will also not be disappointing. Tons of restaurant will offer you that burger with fries or some incredible mac n cheese which you might be graving. Also, you can pretty much find any ethnic cuisine that your heart desires. And because life is only truly complete with dessert Maine has incredible options. Whoopie Pies, for example, is something anyone going to this state needs to try.

The sense of community:

The people of Maine are among some of the most friendly people I have ever met. When I moved there I didn't really know a soul. By the end of my four years, it was hard to say goodbye. These relationships have really impacted me and my life would be very different if it weren't for these incredible individuals. Mainers have this wonderful talent of making anyone feel welcome and part of the community fairly quickly. Also, the support they show for people in need is heartwarming. Whether it's fundraisers or volunteering within the community, if there is something that can be done to help Mainers are always willing to do that.

The quality of life:

If you are looking for a place away from the hustle and bustle, Maine is definitely for you. There are tons of outdoor activities throughout the year, festivals in the summer, football games and apple picking in the fall, and holidays throughout the year that will keep you busy. You have the option of living in a city like Portland which will give you the feel of a big city or you can literally live in the middle of nowhere with your closest neighbor being some deer and moose. Whichever one you prefer Maine has something to offer for anyone!