there is magic in the rain

Magic In The Rain

There is hope in the rain

30
Magic In The Rain
christina thomas

"God, what do you want to say to me through this Magic Kingdom?"

This was my prayer as I peered out the window as we drove under the welcome to Disney World sign.

Ever since I was about 5 or 6 years old, it had been my DREAM to go to Disney World. My heart would burst with joy every time I watched a Disney movie, it would also ache whenever I would hear about my friends going on family vacations to Disney World. This place seemed so unreachable, so unattainable to my mind.

Fast forward about 15 years later, here I was. Facing this incredible castle that had brought me so much childlike wonder and joy for many years. I had about 1000 different thoughts running through my mind, but I knew the most important one was the words that God would speak to me.

I think the Lord works in really funny ways. Sometimes in ways that we wouldn't even begin to understand, but in the end, He ties everything He does into a beautiful story.

When I had envisioned going to Disney World I kinda thought it would be blue skies, 75 degrees, and confetti would be shooting out of the clouds. Instead, it rained, it was humid, and there was confetti, but it was overpriced.

I had to make a few decisions. I could either complain about the rain and be hyper-aware of how sticky it was outside, OR I could change my perspective of the situation.

I don't know when we began to view rain as a negative thing, but somewhere along the way, we decided that rain was no good and that life should only be sunny skies and 75 degrees. But I don't think that's how we are supposed to look at life.

There is promise in rain, there is renewal, there is hope.

In this picture, I could look at this and think about how dark the clouds are, and how off-putting they look. OR, I could be in awe of the grandness of the clouds, how they look powerful yet gentle at the same time- very similar to how we view God.

Powerful, yet gentle. And that's how I began to view the rain. Not as something to be upset about, but a sign that Gods presence is with me in different forms. In other words, He is washing away our expectations and giving us new perspectives on how to look at this life.

When I paused and thought about what The Lord was doing at the moment, that's when I realized that He never does anything to disappoint us, all of His gifts to us are good, even the rain where we think there should be sunshine.