How to Love Yourself

How to Love Yourself

"Because you are you, and they are themselves. It is not one, it should not be one, and it will never be one."

192
How to Love Yourself
Olivia Hanewald

In one of my previous articles, I made a spectacle of social media; exposing its villainous tendencies to force people all over the world to become dependant on it. I exposed the fact that true happiness is lost and now substituted with the instant ego boost that comes with a “like” on social media. That being said, there’s obviously been some sort of trend nowadays that is causing young and old everywhere to look for happiness in the validation they receive from others.

Though this is working, truly loving yourself requires letting go.

Let go of that social media presence for just a second. Realize now what you don’t see: Modelesque edited pictures, the composed and perfect lives of others around you, constant reminders of the immense happiness they hold (that, ultimately, might not even be true). Once you let go, these things go away, and you’re left to see only what is truly there: life.

Loving yourself is an art form. It doesn't take a day away from social media to fully realize all the wonderful things about yourself, your personality, your radiance. However, that decision to try can be made in a matter of minutes. What comes next is a matter of drive and cooperation with yourself.

Be patient. Don’t allow one side-tracked distraction that muddles your progress to be a reason to give up. Maybe you don’t want to get rid of social media forever, which is completely acceptable. Spend a week away from it, and focus on yourself. Think of yourself, and do not wonder what the others around you are doing/feeling/radiating. Now, take those distractions in around you slowly, and when you’re ready, process them. See them for what they are; something separate, something else, something that’s not you… so, it doesn’t really matter, does it?

Because you are you, and they are themselves. It is not one, it should not be one, and it will never be one. After all, the only you that matters is the you that you see yourself.

I had a big problem with seeing myself for the longest time. I can’t say I didn’t struggle with it, and I certainly can’t say I didn't relapse and fall into the dust for days at a time while trying. I think somewhere along the way, it didn’t matter that I had gotten rid of social media, and it didn’t matter that I wasn’t actively comparing my life to those who were around me. What did matter was the fact that I was trying. Through that notion, I gained a certain respect for myself that I didn’t really see before; a sense of friendship and teamwork with my inner being that was working towards a brighter and a healthier future.

I know the title of this article seems like it would be a step-by-step manual, and I wish it could be that simple. However, the only essential part of loving yourself always starts with seeing yourself, and blocking out the distractions. Be a little selfish, and look at yourself with no clouds surrounding the persona.

The rest is up to you.