Loving Extra On Valentine's Day

Loving Extra On Valentine's Day Because You Know You're Loved By God

We want to feel special and loved- the kind of love where mass-produced Valentine's Day cards and boxes of chocolates just aren't cutting it.

305

February, the month full of love, has arrived.

There's no question our hearts were created to receive love. God designed us that way. So when it feels like love is absent, special days, like Valentine's Day, can magnify that ache.

I think back to my elementary school days wondering how many construction paper hearts I'd receive in my cereal box plastered with pink sparkles and stickers. It can be a hard day no matter how old you are. At the end of the day, we just want to feel special and loved- the kind of love where mass-produced Valentine's Day cards and boxes of chocolates just aren't cutting it.

We want to be adored, thought of, deeply and completely loved, and not just because a holiday came around. When I think of things that way I am reminded that God is the only one who can fill these needs perfectly. And even though I know this, the longing to be pursued still lingers in the back of my mind.

"As a young man marries a young woman, so will your Builder marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you." — Isaiah 62:5

Marriage was created to reflect God's image and illustrate His deep love for us and how He passionately pursues our hearts. He wants to cherish us and meet our needs, and He's the only one who can. He chose marriage as a metaphor for the relationship He wants with us.

So this year, I challenge you to ask yourself two things, the first being: What is your love song to the Lord? Is it spending extra time in prayer in the mornings? Is it fasting something that distracts you or takes up too much of your time? The second question I challenge you to ask yourself is: How can you give love to others? There are so many friends who need to know someone is thinking about them right now. There is so much joy in seeking to invest love into others' lives.

This Valentine's Day, remember that you are so loved and valued by Love Himself.