Love Unseen Is Light That Penetrates All Darkness

Love unseen begs for slow hearts, slow minds and slow spirits.

293

Love can be seen. It is often seen in movies and TV shows. It is often unexpected and not foreshadowed. It can also be seen on Instagram and Facebook, where couples post their engagement or wedding photos. But what about love that is unseen? What about love that is not often expressed in these ways? Love that takes care or reaches out. Love that is expressed in nature. Or love that chases when no one really wants it because of fear or insecurity.

In this way, I say that love is unseen. It is unseen in its pursuits. For example, God’s love is often unseen by the naked eye, but it is felt by the heart and spirit of the people that it pursues. The way God pursues is unimaginable. He can pursue through people, places, words, art, through everything all around us. His love can even pursue in the wind. The way it goes back and forth. The way that it keeps coming around no matter what. The way that it catches you off guard. The way the wind blows reminds me of worship. Because often when we allow our hearts to worship, the Holy Spirit will catch us off guard and come like a rushing wind. This love can be found anywhere in nature, such as rainbows, waterfalls, the sky. Everywhere.

Another way love is unseen is in its capabilities. See, God's love is capable. Capable of forgiveness. Capable of patience. Capable of everything that we could ever want and need. Even capable of the things that we could not think possible. For example, love can provide light to the dark places of our hearts. Because we live in such a fallen world, our hearts can often be darkened by the things that we put in it. Such as certain movies, TV shows, even music. But when we surrender and allow God’s love in, it lights up those dark places. It exposes us to the Word and penetrates what only light can penetrate, darkness.

Lastly, love is unseen in our silence. We often live in and hold onto things that distract us. But love unseen is meant to attract us. When we are silent and when we allow space set out for God, we become devoted to Him. Our lives when lived in silence, attract love unseen so that when we fear or experience heartache, we are pursued to lean in and dig deep. God often wants us to have deep roots in the soil of His love. He wants us to live in silence so that we can grow in chaos. When we live in silence, we become aware of the beauty of love.

Love is unseen because it does things that are not always outwardly displayed. Love unseen is about allowing ourselves to accept love long enough for it to penetrate, remake, rejuvenate and restore. Love is about becoming so that we can just be. Love unseen begs for slow hearts, slow minds and slow spirits. When we are slow, love is fast. So today, give into love unseen. Because when you do, what the veil once covered, love will shine.