Love/Hate Relationship with the ​Bachelor​

Looks do not equal love

6

I never really watched The Bachelor or Bachelorette until this past summer when Alabama Hannah was the star of the show. I am not really sure what influenced my friends and I to begin the weekly Monday tradition of gathering at someone's house with cookies and pajamas, but I am very thankful for whatever it was that did. We would gather around the TV, usually still in workout clothes or work clothes, eager to see what drama would unfold on the upcoming episode. It was always a struggle for me to not judge the guys that were "in love" with Hannah after the first and second episodes or that first one on one date. As January 6th approached with the premiere of the Bachelor with Pilot Peter, I was excited to see what girls would come to the Mansion and fall "in love" first. Little did I know how much drama and tears could happen in just one episode.

Throughout watching the 3-hour premiere, I began to think and put myself into the girls' shoes that were contestants on the show. I was baffled by how pretty these girls were that still had not found the love they were in search for. As the show went on, I saw the cattiness and shallowness of some of the girls and realized this happens to so many people. People have been brainwashed to think that the looks are the most important part to life and that will be the only way to find love in this world. While many people have shoved their mindsets so deep to believe this to be true and judge others off of this belief, love does not come from how blue your eyes are or how long your legs are. The love that most people spend so much time looking for goes much lower than the surface. It looks for laughter, kindness, and a place for a heart to call home. The people who find the love that everyone looks for are not blinded by the looks of their significant other but influenced by the soul that is within.

While this was not a long tangent about my love for the Bachelor and reality TV or a spoiler for the season, it is an insight and a thought to think about when watching this show or any other show that makes love seem impossible to truly find. It is important to remember that looks and social status is not a true definition of love or even friendship. Go through life seeing past the skin and always looking into the souls of individuals. When you begin to do this, you will find your true friends, true loves, and even your true self.