My Love/Hate Letter To Caffeine

My Love/Hate Letter To Caffeine

Caffeine ain’t no joke!
232

Caffeine. Coffee. Redbull. I love them. I hate them. My excessive caffeine intake is one of the vices that I must hold onto if I want any hope of getting through most weeks.

I remember a time when I believed I didn't need caffeine to simply survive. A fool.

Often times, a tasty, caffeinated drink works as the perfect incentive to get things started in the first place. On the flip side, there are a bunch of negative when it comes to caffeine. It isn't hard to go overboard. There's the headaches, the shakes, the anxiety, the increased heartbeat. But it’s worth it, right?

The thought of coffee just gives me heart palpitations, in a good and bad way. Coffee is the go-to for mornings and mid-day library trips. It feels good to have a coffee. It’s a drink for pleasant days or rainy days, good moods or bad.

Unfortunately, that means it’s easy to drink it all the time. And that means caffeine addiction! And with that comes headaches and shakiness and irritability. We love it.

On the other hand, Redbull is its evil, late-night counterpart. Redbull is for the all-nighters and nothing else. I pick one of those bad boys up, and I know it's a long night ahead of me. They’re not particularly delicious, especially in comparison to coffee.

Nevertheless, they’re perfect for specific situations like being irresponsible and completely behind on work. They’re just as addicting, as to be expected, but it feels much worse to be a Redbull addict than a coffee addict. As we all know, energy drinks are full of gross chemicals that we should never ingest daily. But sometimes you just need a dang Redbull.

All in all, caffeine is risky business. We all love it, maybe a little too much. College definitely purports caffeine culture. Starbucks is not hard to find on a college campus. In a city like Charleston, coffee shops aren’t hard to find anywhere.

A cold Redbull can be found on any corner shop, gas station, or basically any place that sells a multitude of beverages anywhere. At any rate, I still love you, coffee, and I love you, Redbull. And I hate you