I Love Harry Potter World Even Though It's The Commercialized Version of My Favorite Story

I’m still waiting for my letter, Hogwarts!
107

Does the commercialism of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter World take away from the story that is incredibly close to my heart?

The love that I have for this series knows no bounds. I’ve been a part of the experience since I was six. I watched the first movie when I was six, I read the first book the same year, and I just went to the Wizarding World for the first time last year.

Did I wear the entire robe, scarf, and wand ensemble? You bet your thundering Hippogriffs I did!

I had a conversation with my roommate the other day about our similar love for the story of Harry Potter — through the books and the films. We primarily disagreed on the commercialization of the Wizarding World.

The biggest point of contention on our argument was the money-making side of the Wizarding World and if we could deal with that aspect to be better immersed. My roommate explained that for herself the story has a place in her heart and mind, without the interpretation of the films. I can understand this because there's childhood connections to certain tales and books that we read, and those last a lifetime.

Where I differ is that the films and the memorabilia actually add to my childhood excitement. I want the opportunity to be a part of the world that partially has been created by the films—the score, the art work, the actualization of creatures and spells. I've come to the realization that I am more than okay with the commercialization of the films and the interpretation of the films, as I can add more and more to my treasure chest of Harry Potter nostalgia.

More than anything, I get to feel (even if for a little bit of time in Universal Studios) like I'm actually in Hogsmeade or Hogwarts, or even just Platform 9 3/4. Although I appreciate the reasoning behind my roommate's (and fellow Potterhead's) resistance to the Wizarding World, to maintain the beautiful story that is Harry Potter, I'm glad the world exists. I even hope to visit it again soon!